Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by rjkoop <rj...@gmail.com> on 2012/05/16 14:39:00 UTC

log4j configuration for multiple WARs

I'm having trouble configuring log4j in a multi-WAR environment.  I have a
single log4.xml specified by using  the
log4j.configuration=http://..../log4j.xml option.  Each WAR has it's own
log4j.jar in it's WEB-INF/lib directory.  I want all these WARs to write the
logs to a single file (based on the common log4j.xml file).

Even though all WARs are deployed in a single JVM process, I'm getting
strange behavior where logging will stop for some WARs, the daily rollover
doesn't work correctly, some WARs write to old log file once it's rolled
over, log file entries aren't in order, ....  From the docs log4j is thread
safe so I think this should work.  Any ideas?