Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Robert Oxspring <ro...@imapmail.org> on 2020/05/15 22:32:32 UTC

Minimum Supported Java Versions

Hi folks,

I’ve been looking at MRESOURCES-236 (Copying of files with permissions broken) and it looks like it should be solvable using Java 7’s Files.getPosixFilePermission() and Files.setPostixFilePermission(). In particular I propose that the various copyFile() methods in maven-resources-plugin and maven-shared-utils be made to copy the posix file permissions from source to target. I’m happy to open a pull request to that effect.

Obviously all this could be carefully built into maven-shared-utils’ Java7Support class using reflection but I suspect that the minimum supported java version is already 7, and there’s talk of other components bumping minimum to 8 anyway.

So my questions are:

1. Have people tried the get/set posix file permissions approach before and found it lacking? - are there email threads I should be reading about previous failed attempts?
2. Is it reasonable to assume that maven-shared-utils and maven-resources-plugin require at least Java 7 anyway, and that I can rely on the above functionality without reflection?
3. Assuming that the minimum is Java 7 or higher already, is there any reason for the Java7Support class to be powered by reflection? (I can understand that the class itself may need to stick around for backwards compatibility but surely there’s a few milliseconds of performance improvement available by calling the target functionality directly!)

Thanks,

Rob

Re: Minimum Supported Java Versions

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
Hi
That's a recurrent discussion....
All the java7 stuff done by reflection can be definitely removed (it's a
legacy code when we have minimum support of java5)
So feel free to remove that and make those librairies java7 minimum. This
shouldn't be a problem.
Regarding java8, I have my opinion and already expressed it for long time
now :)
I would say go for java8 (but it's really my opinion).
cheers
Olivier

On Sat, 16 May 2020 at 08:32, Robert Oxspring <ro...@imapmail.org>
wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I’ve been looking at MRESOURCES-236 (Copying of files with permissions
> broken) and it looks like it should be solvable using Java 7’s
> Files.getPosixFilePermission() and Files.setPostixFilePermission(). In
> particular I propose that the various copyFile() methods in
> maven-resources-plugin and maven-shared-utils be made to copy the posix
> file permissions from source to target. I’m happy to open a pull request to
> that effect.
>
> Obviously all this could be carefully built into maven-shared-utils’
> Java7Support class using reflection but I suspect that the minimum
> supported java version is already 7, and there’s talk of other components
> bumping minimum to 8 anyway.
>
> So my questions are:
>
> 1. Have people tried the get/set posix file permissions approach before
> and found it lacking? - are there email threads I should be reading about
> previous failed attempts?
> 2. Is it reasonable to assume that maven-shared-utils and
> maven-resources-plugin require at least Java 7 anyway, and that I can rely
> on the above functionality without reflection?
> 3. Assuming that the minimum is Java 7 or higher already, is there any
> reason for the Java7Support class to be powered by reflection? (I can
> understand that the class itself may need to stick around for backwards
> compatibility but surely there’s a few milliseconds of performance
> improvement available by calling the target functionality directly!)
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rob

Olivier Lamy