Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Sam Ewing <ja...@yahoo.com> on 2002/03/28 06:49:26 UTC

Mod_jk v/s mod_webapp

I was not able to locate any information on the
differences between mod_webapp and mod_jk for Tomcat
4.0.. could anyone point me in the right direction?
What about the respective protocols? APJ v/s WARP?

Also, where could I find instructions on configuring
apache to use mod_webapp?

Any reply would be appreciated! Thanks,

Sam

Re: Mod_jk v/s mod_webapp

Posted by co...@covalent.net.
On Wed, 27 Mar 2002, Bill Barker wrote:

> mod_jk2 is the next generation of mod_jk.  It is currently barely Alpha
> quality for Apache 2.x (and still subject to major changes from day-to-day),

It works ( barely :-) with Apache2.x and 1.3. The connector for apache1.3
can be used as a basis for updating IIS/iPlanet.

The code is very close to alpha, it seem to work fine on my machine - and
hopefully most of the major changes are done now, I'm cleaning up few
things and doing incremental changes and testing.

What's very different in jk2 is the 'port' of several concepts from java
( JMX-like management, JNI style for methods, configuration using setters
and abstracted config repository, etc ).

Another important change is the ( IMHO ) better abstraction of the
marshalling, channel and worker. And the almost complete rewrite
of the JNI side, removing several major hotspots ( and catching up
with the optimizations in the the http connector ). Plus 'unix socket'
channel, and enough modularity to plug any other IPC ( when someone
will have the time to play with nt pipes or doors ).

Besides speed it'll have few other cool features - including a lot
of runtime information and runtime reconfiguration, at the same level
with what we have in the java side of tomcat.

Costin

Re: Mod_jk v/s mod_webapp

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.
mod_jk2 is the next generation of mod_jk.  It is currently barely Alpha
quality for Apache 2.x (and still subject to major changes from day-to-day),
and AFAIK, doesn't currently really work with other servers (but it
eventually will support Apache 1.3.x/IIS/iPlanet as well [and others, if
anyone wants to contribute]).

However, once it does get to release, it promises to offer easier
configuration, easier support (important for people on this list), and
possibly higher performance configurations (e.g. improved JNI, and unix
sockets).
Posted by Sam Ewing <ja...@yahoo.com>.

Re: Mod_jk v/s mod_webapp

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.
"James Williamson" <ja...@nameonthe.net> wrote:

> I gladly will (or have done), in fact I've rewritten mod_webapp which
> resolves the common complains:
>
> 1) How can I get Apache to serve static content and Tomcat dynamic content

Good... Patch...

> 2) 404 Apache errors

When Tomcat is started _before_ Apache? Good... Patch...

> 3) Using mod_rewrite and other Apache rewriting mechanisms

Great... Patch....

> I take it you're no longer interested in supporting/developing this
> connector, I really don't mind taking over this
> responsibility since I could really do with getting these patches tested.

I didn't say that... I just said that for what matters to me (meaning, for
what I use it, it works allright)... That's far from saying that I'm no
longer interested on it... If you have patches, I'll be more than glad to
review and incorporate....

> Other things I've nearly resolved are Windows compatibility and the mod_ssl
> issue. Let me know what your thoughts are.

Windows compatibility, did you use the new APR locking mechanism or the old
one? Mod_SSL, I don't use it... :)

    Pier

Re: Mod_jk v/s mod_webapp

Posted by James Williamson <ja...@nameonthe.net>.
> "James Williamson" <ja...@nameonthe.net> wrote:
>
> > Umm, I posted a bug about this, what about the now infamous 404 (Apache
> > started after Tomcat issue) and the fact that the manager app doesn't
work
> > when you try to create a new application due to apache indexing the apps
when
> > it starts. The only solution/workaround/kludge being to restart Apache?
The
> > other thing being; because mod_webapp ignores the rewrited filename
preferring
> > to still look at the raw uri means things like mod_rewrite don't apply
(which
> > for many people is an absolute necessity). Check the user lists to
witness the
> > frustration.
>
> James, your it, you go ahead and fix it... It _WORKS_FOR_ME_ :)
>
>     Pier

Pier,

I gladly will (or have done), in fact I've rewritten mod_webapp which
resolves the common complains:

1) How can I get Apache to serve static content and Tomcat dynamic content
2) 404 Apache errors
3) Using mod_rewrite and other Apache rewriting mechanisms

I take it you're no longer interested in supporting/developing this
connector, I really don't mind taking over this
responsibility since I could really do with getting these patches tested.
Other things I've nearly resolved
are Windows compatibility and the mod_ssl issue. Let me know what your
thoughts are.

Regards,

James Williamson
www.nameonthe.net

Re: Mod_jk v/s mod_webapp

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.

Re: Mod_jk v/s mod_webapp

Posted by James Williamson <ja...@nameonthe.net>.
> David Graff <ph...@mindspring.com> wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the pointer on that documentation.  I was wondering where the
> > Javadoc style comments were being used at.
>
> You welcome...
>
> > I still don't think the question was really answered though as to the
> > motivation of mod_webapp versus mod_jk/mod_jk2 development?  Are there
any
> > goals that have been made available to the public so that we understand
what
> > the spawned these two different integration modules?
>
> Motivation? I don't like mod_jk, I wanted to use APR as a portable runtime
> for an Apache 1.3 module, I believe that the WARP protocol with built-in
> support for auto-deployment and web-application configuration is the way
> go (rather than using mod_rewrite rules all the way around), and because I
> don't like Costin :) :) :) :)

Umm, I posted a bug about this, what about the now infamous 404 (Apache
started after
Tomcat issue) and the fact that the manager app doesn't work when you try to
create a
new application due to apache indexing the apps when it starts. The only
solution/workaround/kludge
being to restart Apache? The other thing being; because mod_webapp ignores
the rewrited filename preferring
to still look at the raw uri means things like mod_rewrite don't apply
(which for many people is
an absolute necessity). Check the user lists to witness the frustration.

 (BTW, all those "goals" passed over on this mailing list in the past

Re: Mod_jk v/s mod_webapp

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.
David Graff <ph...@mindspring.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the pointer on that documentation.  I was wondering where the
> Javadoc style comments were being used at.

You welcome...

> I still don't think the question was really answered though as to the
> motivation of mod_webapp versus mod_jk/mod_jk2 development?  Are there any
> goals that have been made available to the public so that we understand what
> the spawned these two different integration modules?

Motivation? I don't like mod_jk, I wanted to use APR as a portable runtime
for an Apache 1.3 module, I believe that the WARP protocol with built-in
support for auto-deployment and web-application configuration is the way to
go (rather than using mod_rewrite rules all the way around), and because I
don't like Costin :) :) :) :)

1.2.3. (BTW, all those "goals" passed over on this mailing list in the past
2/3 years, check the archives...)

    Pier

Re: Mod_jk v/s mod_webapp

Re: Mod_jk v/s mod_webapp