Posted to commits@lucene.apache.org by Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> on 2015/05/18 15:27:04 UTC

[Solr Wiki] Update of "FAQ" by ShawnHeisey

Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Solr Wiki" for change notification.

The "FAQ" page has been changed by ShawnHeisey:
https://wiki.apache.org/solr/FAQ?action=diff&rev1=97&rev2=98

Comment:
Update answer about jetty for 5.x.

  There is an [[http://lucene.apache.org/solr/tutorial.html|online tutorial]] as well as a [[http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/lucene/dev/trunk/solr/example/solr/conf/|demonstration configuration in SVN]].

  == Solr Comes with Jetty, is Jetty the recommended Servlet Container to use when running Solr? ==
- The Solr example app has Jetty in it just because at the time we set it up, Jetty was the simplest/smallest servlet container we found that could be run easily in a cross platform way (ie: "java -jar start.jar").  That does not imply that Solr runs better under Jetty, or that Jetty is only good enough for demos -- it's just that Jetty made our demo setup easier.
+ Prior to Solr 5.x, the Solr example app had Jetty in it just because at the time we set it up, Jetty was the simplest/smallest servlet container we found that could be run easily in a cross platform way (ie: "java -jar start.jar").  There was no implication implying that Solr runs better under Jetty, or that Jetty is only good enough for demos -- it's just that Jetty made our demo setup easier.  Since then, our test suite has grown to include items that actually start Jetty and run full integration tests, so we can be sure that Jetty works correctly.  Other containers are not tested.

- Users should decide for themselves which Servlet Container they consider the easiest/best for their use cases based on their needs/experience. For high traffic scenarios, investing time for tuning the servlet container can often make a big difference.
+ As of Solr 5.0, the .war file is a little bit harder to find and the startup scripts included with Solr in the bin directory are specifically designed to run Jetty.  The documentation says that there is no longer any support for running Solr in a third-party container.  This is technically not true - if you grab the war from server/webapps, the logging jars from server/lib/ext, and the log4j.properties file from server/resources, you can still deploy in a third-party container, but eventually this kind of deployment will no longer be possible.  See WhyNoWar for a larger discussion about future plans where Solr will become a standalone application.

  == How do I change the logging levels/files/format ? ==
  See SolrLogging
@@ -338, +338 @@

  == How can I get hold of HttpServletRequest object in custom first-component? ==
  Set the attribute "addHttpRequestToContext" in the "requestParsers" element to "true" in your solrconfig.xml.

- Use it in your custom componet like:
+ Use it in your custom componet like:
  {{{#!java
  public class CustomSearchComponent extends SearchComponent {