Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Geoffrey Khan <ge...@hotmail.com> on 2002/09/30 13:05:28 UTC

(OT) Cannot see Localhost on Apache

Hello,

Sorry for the off topic manner of this email but I am having trouble
with my Apache server and was wondering if anyone on this list can help
me?

For about a year I had Apache 1.3.20 set-up on my Windows 98SE machine
running PHP 4.1.1 (and Coldfusion) on it with no problems. I would type
http://localhost/ (or http://127.0.0.1/)  in my browser and be able to
see the directories with all my files in them and edit them accordingly.

However, last week I started up Apache and opened a browser and typed
Localhost but nothing happened! All I would get would be a white blank
screen and if I typed in the address of a specific file within the
directory I would get a "Pager cannot be displayed" error.

I tested this in IE, Netscape and Mozilla (along with clearing the cache
in each browser) and all of them were the same.

I decided to uninstall Apache 1.3.20 and upgrade to 1.3.26 figuring that
if I started with a newer version of Apache the problem would be
eradicated and I  would have a more up-to-date version of the server.

This I have done, but still I cannot gain access to any of my files and
still it gives me a blank white screen if I type Localhost and a "Page
cannot be displayed" error message if I try and navigate to a specific
file within the directory.

I have scanned the Apache web site, trawled through the newsgroups,
studied my config file indepth, but cannot see where the problem lies.

Could someone please take a look at my config file and try to see why
this is happening because as far as I can tell everything is fine and I
haven't changed anything since the last time it worked OK?

Please disregard the fact that I haven't loaded the PHP modules yet (and
Coldfusion as well) as I will do this after I have managed to sort out
the Localhost problem.

Your help would be very much appreciated.

Regards,

Geoff Khan B.Sc (Hons)
 <http://www.shining-path.com> www.shining-path.com