Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Larry Leszczynski <la...@furph.com> on 2002/10/02 15:29:19 UTC

mod_perl Windows 2000 install notes

Hi Randy -

Just wanted to send along some info that might be useful to add as a
Windows installation note in the mod_perl guide.  The short story is:

   You may need to shut down and restart your machine after installing to
   get things to start working!

I've been trying to install on Windows 2000 Professional, tried both the
complete install (perl-win32-bin.exe) as well as installing Apache and
ActiveState Perl and then using ppm to get to your mod_perl package.  In
both cases Apache by itself worked fine, but as soon as I added the
LoadModule and AddModule lines for mod_perl, the server would refuse to
start.  The screen message was uninformative:

   The Apache service is starting.
   Failed to start the Apache service.
   Note the errors or messages above, and press the <ESC> key to exit.

and nothing at all showed up in error_log.  After much frustration, I
remembered I was working on a Windows box, and rebooted :-).  Maybe there
can be a FAQ or something in the install section that mentions the failure
to start and that particular empty error message.

Thanks!
Larry Leszczynski
larryl@furph.com

Re: mod_perl Windows 2000 install notes

Posted by Issac Goldstand <ma...@beamartyr.net>.
It's needed, for example, to enable the system-wide PATH to include
\Perl\bin in it, which is needed to load mod_perl.so into the server when
running as a system service.  Note that you can still go to a command shell,
add perl\bin to the path and manually start apache from the command shell -
that will work.

  Issac

Posted by Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>.
On Wed, 2 Oct 2002, Larry Leszczynski wrote:

> Just wanted to send along some info that might be useful to add as a
> Windows installation note in the mod_perl guide.  The short story is:
>
>    You may need to shut down and restart your machine after installing to
>    get things to start working!
[ ... ]

--
best regards,