Posted to dev@zookeeper.apache.org by Justin Ling Mao <ma...@sina.com> on 2019/07/15 09:54:49 UTC

Re: Re: Time to think about a 3.6.0 release?

- 1.Since the 3.5.5 has just released in May. we still need some time to collect the users' feedback.we cannot make sure the release time of 3.6.0? Giving the experience from the previous release history:)- 2.please Let me share some my thoughts, and the work in progress will be arriving into 3.6.0. Plz correct me if I got something wrong.     ------------------------------------------P0----------------------------------------------------------------     - Support the backend store engine:LMDB. this work needs a very detailed proposal which I will send to the community for being discussed fully.     - Add a complete backup mechanism for zookeeper internal(PR-917) which I will sharp it this week.     - A very powerful benchmark tool(PR-1011) which will be available within these two week.     - improve the performance of read/write to have the distinct advantages compared to etcd v3.4 which will be released soon.     - To strengthen the quota feature(PR-934,PR-936,PR-938) and implement the throughout quota.     - To strengthen the implements of TTL node(PR-1010)     - Add some new very useful CLIs: quorumInfo, watch .etc     - Observe and strengthen the new metric system continuously.     ------------------------------------------P1----------------------------------------------------------------     - strength the docs, especially about the c client, local session, security(TLS),ZAB protocol .etc     - introduce some chaos, fuzzy tests and tools to hit and check the zk.     - Clean up the all the checkstyle violations in the zookeeper-server module(ZOOKEEPER-3431)     ----------------------------------------- P2------------------------------------------------------------------     - Debug mode feature. Look at an example of redis     - the tracing feature(PR-994). if having another time, integrating with opentracing sounds a very good idea.     - replace jute with thrift or PB may be put into the 4.0.0 when wanting to break the backward compatibility? And at the 4.0.0, implementing the restful api is also a  very good idea.

Posted by Norbert Kalmar <nk...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.
A related question: Are we going to deprecate/EOL the 3.4 branch after
3.6.0 stable is released?

Posted by Andor Molnar <an...@apache.org>.
Hi maoling,

Posted by Andor Molnar <an...@apache.org>.
> So my plan would be:
> - merge pending pull requests that are ready
> - stabilize the codebase  (no more BLOCKER issues for the release)
> - start release process

Sounds like a good plan. +1

Quick Jira stats: (3.6.0 only tickets)

- 77 Improvement
- 14 New Feature (Followers host observers, new metrics system, Prometheus.io integration, log-size based snapshots, new docs,
- 23 Bugfix
- 6 Task

I wouldn’t say we should not commit more stuff, but sounds like a good time to start stabilization.

Andor

Posted by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>.
Justin,