Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Seth Wiesman <sj...@gmail.com> on 2020/09/10 14:51:53 UTC

[DISCUSS] Drop Scala 2.11

Hi Everyone,

Think of this as a pre-flip, but what does everyone think about dropping
Scala 2.11 support from Flink.

The last patch release was in 2017 and in that time the scala community has
released 2.13 and is working towards a 3.0 release. Apache Kafka and Spark
have both dropped 2.11 support in recent versions. In fact, Flink's
universal Kafka connector is stuck on 2.4 because that is the last version
with scala 2.11 support.

What are people's thoughts on dropping Scala 2.11? How many are still using
it in production?

Seth

Re: [DISCUSS] Drop Scala 2.11

Posted by Theo Diefenthal <th...@scoop-software.de>.
We use a Cloudera 6.3 cluster in prod. I'd guess that it's still widely used in prod as those cloudera upgrades for major versions are planned long time ahead and take a significant amount of resources in big data lakes.

On that 6.3. cluster, if I open spark-shell, I still see scala 2.11 in use:
> Using Scala version 2.11.12 (Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM, Java 1.8.0_181)

Just to don't mess with any dependencies and as we have both, Flink and Spark jobs, we declare all dependencies with scala_2.11. But we never actually tried what happens if we would change that. We just seek maximum compatibility while at the same time, maintain and upgrade Flink ourselves to keep up with the development pace of the fast community and being able to use the latest major version quickly.

So my suggestion: As long as it isn't much pain, I'd like to keep the scala 2.11 support for a while. (or even better for me as a Java, but never scala developer: Drop it completely :) ) Speaking for my project: I think our ops team plans to upgrade to Cloudera 7 somewhere around Q2 2021, so personally I'm fine with dropping it then.

Best regards
Theo

Posted by Jeff Zhang <zj...@gmail.com>.
Glad to see someone in community would like to drive this effort.
If scala 2.13 can do whatever scala 2.11 can do in flink (such as support
scala-shell, scala lambda udf and etc), then I would be 100% support of
dropping scala 2.11.

Aljoscha Krettek <al...@apache.org> 于2021年1月5日周二 下午11:01写道:

--
Best Regards

Jeff Zhang

Re: [DISCUSS] Drop Scala 2.11

Posted by Aljoscha Krettek <al...@apache.org>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Drop Scala 2.11

Posted by Jeff Zhang <zj...@gmail.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Drop Scala 2.11

Posted by Chesnay Schepler <ch...@apache.org>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Drop Scala 2.11

Posted by Timo Walther <tw...@apache.org>.
Big +1 to drop Scala 2.11

Re: [DISCUSS] Drop Scala 2.11

Posted by Theo Diefenthal <th...@scoop-software.de>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Drop Scala 2.11

Posted by Igal Shilman <ig...@ververica.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Drop Scala 2.11

Posted by Igal Shilman <ig...@ververica.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Drop Scala 2.11

Posted by Seth Wiesman <sj...@gmail.com>.
@glen

Re: [DISCUSS] Drop Scala 2.11

Posted by Seth Wiesman <sj...@gmail.com>.
@glen

Re: [DISCUSS] Drop Scala 2.11

Posted by Matthieu Bonneviot <ma...@datadome.co.INVALID>.
That makes sense.

Re: [DISCUSS] Drop Scala 2.11

Posted by Aljoscha Krettek <al...@apache.org>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Drop Scala 2.11

Posted by Galen Warren <ga...@cvillewarrens.com>.
I'd be fine with dropping Scala 2.11. Stateful Functions currently requires
2.11, though, so that would have to be addressed as well.

I'm using 2.11 in a production project now but only because of the Stateful
Functions dependency. If I could use a newer Scala version that would be
fine/preferred.

Re: [DISCUSS] Drop Scala 2.11

Posted by Aljoscha Krettek <al...@apache.org>.