Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Alex Chaffee <gu...@edamame.stinky.com> on 2000/08/17 15:51:29 UTC

Revised Documentation

Rob Slifka and I have finished the first pass of splitting the Tomcat
User's Guide into two documents (tomcat-ug.html and
tomcat-apache-howto.html) and I've checked it in.  I also did a few
other things:

* removed the "uguide" subdirectory; all tomcat docs are now in
src/doc proper (except for Craig's appdev manual, which seems to be a
bit old)

* added src/doc/index.html file pointing to all docs. We've actually
got quite a few useful doc files!

* modified the build process so "src/doc" gets added to the default
root webapp, and put a link to it in the root webapp's index.html.
This means that out-of-the-box Tomcat installs will have easy access
to the docs (in addition to the servlet/JSP APIs, which it already
had).

* renamed it from "Minimalistic" to just "Tomcat User's Guide" (since
it's actually fairly complete now; plus the old name was getting
something of a bad reputation due to obsolete info).

I did a build and it seems to come out OK, but I'd like people to give
it a onceover to make sure I didn't miss anything in build.xml.

Sam - I think this change is important enough to put into 3.2,
especially since I added some paragraphs on webapps and WAR deployment
and fixed some mistakes.  Can you vet it and merge it, or would you
like me to (finally) check out the 3.2 branch and do it myself?  (FYI,
Rob or I may be making more improvements presently, especially to the
tomcat-apache-howto, so there may be more merges to come...)

 - Alex