Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Chris Brody <ch...@gmail.com> on 2018/08/22 23:27:33 UTC

[Cordova dev] Deprecate some more Cordova plugins?

From some other discussions I started to wonder if we should consider
deprecating some more Cordova plugins that fall into either of these
categories:
* not critical to core need or functionality
* hard to support

My idea is that people in the user community can start to expand and
support the plugins they care most about, on the npm ecosystem. This should
free us Cordova committers to spend more time on the Cordova libraries and
platforms that need more of our care.

Re: [Cordova dev] Deprecate some more Cordova plugins?

Posted by julio cesar sanchez <jc...@gmail.com>.
I've just found cordova-plugin-media was voted to be "sunset", but we
didn't do it (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CB-13095), so might be
a good start.

I think it's the only one left, and cordova-plugin-dialogs didn't get a
definite decision.

I wouldn't deprecate more, as biggest struggle cordova users face is the
lack of supported/maintained plugins. The ones we deprecated was because of
a "native" (pure html/js) alternative that could replace the plugin and
wouldn't need maintenance. (Except contacts, it was the only one without
alternative). Deprecating without an alternative and hoping users will fork
and maintain them is not likely to happen.

I think it would be better to try to find more contributors that can work
on core plugins and make them committers after a while (easier said than
done)

Posted by Jan Piotrowski <pi...@gmail.com>.