Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Adam Hardy <ah...@cyberspaceroad.com> on 2003/08/23 22:26:20 UTC

jdk 1.4 logging and log formatter class not being found

I just upgraded from 4.1.24 to 4.1.27 and found that tomcat or java now
can't find my formatter class which I need for JDK 1.4 logging.

if you're not familiar with JDK 1.4 logging, the formatter class is what
you specify in the logging.properties config file, which formats the
output of the each log statement.

There are a couple of standard formatter classes in JDK 1.4 which I have
tested out and they work fine still, so the problem is definitely that
my formatter class is not being found. When JDK 1.4 logging can't find
the formatter you specify, it reverts back to the default one.

I have the formatter class in tomcat's common/classes directory.
Switching back to 4.1.24, it still works.

I've tried placing my class in server/classes, in shared/classes and
also in WEB-INF/classes for a particular webapp, with no joy. Does
anybody have any idea what I can do?

thanks
Adam

ps in both 4.1.24 and 27 I am using the LE binaries. I have also tried
it with the old commons-logging.jar and with the latest jar - not that
it should affect it, but I've been trying everything in desperation.

--
struts 1.1 + tomcat 4.1.27 + java 1.4.2
Linux 2.4.20 RH9