Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by imacat <im...@mail.imacat.idv.tw> on 2012/05/06 17:05:03 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Setting Up Official Taiwan

Dear all,

    I would like to propose setting up three official Apache OpenOffice
social media accounts for the Taiwan local community:

     1. I would like to set up the Facebook group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ooo.tw/

    as the official Apache OpenOffice Taiwan Facebook users' group.  It
is a Facebook group started since 2010/12, and is the current Facebook
group for our local community.

     2. I would also like to set up an official Apache OpenOffice Taiwan
Plurk account, too (whether @apacheoo or @apacheootw is not decided
yet.)  Plurk is the most popular micro-blogging service here in Taiwan,
and is even more active than Facebook.

     3. I do not know if this is appropriate.  I would like to set up an
official Apache OpenOffice Taiwan blog.  That may be apacheoo-tw on
blogspot.  It shall contain Apache OpenOffice announcements, as well as
local news.  Please tell me if there are other suggestions on this.

--
Best regards,
imacat ^_*' <im...@mail.imacat.idv.tw>

Re: [PROPOSAL] Setting Up Official Taiwan

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Sun, May 6, 2012 at 11:34 AM, Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org> wrote:
> It's great to see so many volunteers working at setting up social media
> accounts for the podling in various cultures.  I'm definitely +1 for PPMC
> members working on the lists to setup new accounts - presuming that we also
> have the volunteers to put some relevant content on them.  It sounds like
> imacat will do just fine on this one.  8-)
>
> Given the likely increase in these requests, I hope to have some more
> detailed best practices and a few requirements for social media accounts
> that are labeled as official; i.e. are run by the project itself (versus the
> many other accounts run by individuals about our projects).
>
> Basic guidelines would include:
>
> - (P)PMC approval.  You're already handling this one here on the lists,
> great!
>
> - PPMC ownership.  More than one PPMC member should be able to fully
> administer the account.  A best practice is to have several PPMC members
> being able to post to the account at will, and to have a basic agreement at
> keeping the PPMC apprised of the administrator list and allowing other PPMC
> members to join as authors or administrators.
>
> - A note on the homepage of the social media account/page/whatever noting
> that it is run my PPMC members from the AOO project.
>
> - A link back from the AOO site itself to the account.  This is a key way
> that we can inform users of which social media accounts truly could speak
> for the project or not.  I.e. any "official" accounts the PPMC approves and
> manages should be linked directly to from someplace on our website.  Any
> other, non-PPMC accounts could also be linked, but on our website we can let
> users know which ones we run versus third parties.
>
> Comments on these guidelines?

I've been making similar assumptions as well.  I was going to write
them for the project, along with some further, guidelines, not policy
related.   (Think of our mailing list guidelines, but translated into
a social networking context).  But it would be great to get this
defined ASF-wide

Posted by imacat <im...@mail.imacat.idv.tw>.
On 2012/05/07 02:07, Shane Curcuru said:
> On 2012-05-06 12:11 PM, imacat wrote:
>> On 2012/05/06 23:34, Shane Curcuru said:
>>> Basic guidelines would include:
>>> - PPMC ownership.  More than one PPMC member should be able to fully
>>> administer the account.  A best practice is to have several PPMC members
>>> being able to post to the account at will, and to have a basic agreement
>>> at keeping the PPMC apprised of the administrator list and allowing
>>> other PPMC members to join as authors or administrators.
>>      There is some problem here.  Currently there is no other Taiwan PMC
>> member but me.  I plan to use these pages as a start to invite more
>> volunteers, refer them to ooo-dev, and eventually propose some of them
>> as new PMC members when appropriate.  Surely I can invite other
>> English-speaking PPMC member to fullfill this request now, but that does
>> not make sense.
> The minimum from the ASF side is that more than one PPMC member has
> access to the account - for example to be able to quickly send an urgent
> message, or if the account creator disappears and isn't maintaining the
> account.  So adding another PPMC member to help administer will work
> just fine - even if they don't speak your target language, they could at
> least still access the account and update it (perhaps updating the list
> of admins with a new volunteer) if for some reason you are not able to.
>
> I.e. not everyone who is an admin on the account has to post to it
> regularly.  Some projects - smaller ones than this, however - just send
> the login details to all PMC members, just to ensure they can access the
> account if needed.
>
> Does that make sense?

    I see.  That does make sense.  I shall start with this. ^_*'

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.
On 2012-05-06 12:11 PM, imacat wrote:
> On 2012/05/06 23:34, Shane Curcuru said:
>> Basic guidelines would include:
>> - (P)PMC approval.  You're already handling this one here on the lists,
>> great!
>
>      Thanks.
>
>> - PPMC ownership.  More than one PPMC member should be able to fully
>> administer the account.  A best practice is to have several PPMC members
>> being able to post to the account at will, and to have a basic agreement
>> at keeping the PPMC apprised of the administrator list and allowing
>> other PPMC members to join as authors or administrators.
>
>      There is some problem here.  Currently there is no other Taiwan PMC
> member but me.  I plan to use these pages as a start to invite more
> volunteers, refer them to ooo-dev, and eventually propose some of them
> as new PMC members when appropriate.  Surely I can invite other
> English-speaking PPMC member to fullfill this request now, but that does
> not make sense.
>
>      In cases other than Taiwan, this means the official local page needs
> to have at least two PMC members in order to work.  That may not be an
> easy condition for non-English-speaking countries.

The minimum from the ASF side is that more than one PPMC member has
access to the account - for example to be able to quickly send an urgent
message, or if the account creator disappears and isn't maintaining the
account.  So adding another PPMC member to help administer will work
just fine - even if they don't speak your target language, they could at
least still access the account and update it (perhaps updating the list
of admins with a new volunteer) if for some reason you are not able to.

I.e. not everyone who is an admin on the account has to post to it
regularly.  Some projects - smaller ones than this, however - just send
the login details to all PMC members, just to ensure they can access the
account if needed.

Does that make sense?

I agree, the other important issue is having volunteers who can actually
post relevant things to the account regularly - it sounds like you are
covering that for the time being.

- Shane

Posted by imacat <im...@mail.imacat.idv.tw>.
On 2012/05/06 23:34, Shane Curcuru said:
> Basic guidelines would include:
> - (P)PMC approval.  You're already handling this one here on the lists,
> great!

    Thanks.