Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Gareth <g0...@yahoo.co.uk> on 2007/04/04 20:32:32 UTC

Visit Object deprecated

Are we supposed to use some other form of session persistence, or is it a good pattern to create a user Visit Object and keep all user session variables inside it?

Thanks

Re: Visit Object deprecated

Posted by Daniel Jue <te...@gmail.com>.
I would take a look at the 4th chapter in Kent Tong's book (first 4
chapters are free online).  In that chapter he sets up an online
store, using a shopping cart as the ASO.  I used this chapter a whole
lot when developing my first Tapestry app.  Rename "cart" to "user",
and it starts feeling like a visit object.

I apologize to the list that I keep plugging this guy's book, but
without the book and Shing's website on hivemind stuff, I wouldn't
have gotten anywhere with Tapestry.
At first I bought "Tapestry in Action" thinking it would help, but it
wasn't written at a level that I could understand, and it was all
about Tap 3.

Daniel

Re: Visit Object deprecated

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
In Tapestry 4, they are more generic, called "ASOs".  You can think of
Visit as a legacy ASO, but it's better to create your own and name
them differently (no Visit) since that conflicts with a deprectated
method (Object getVisit()) on BasePage.

On 4/4/07, Gareth <g0...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Are we supposed to use some other form of session persistence, or is it a good pattern to create a user Visit Object and keep all user session variables inside it?
>
> Thanks

Howard M. Lewis Ship
TWD Consulting, Inc.
Creator and PMC Chair, Apache Tapestry