Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Heitzso <he...@bellsouth.net> on 2002/05/06 18:42:44 UTC

axis crashing on solaris 8 sparc20

axis beta2
sun jdk 1.4.0
solaris 8, patched up as of a month ago
tomcat 4.0.3
512M RAM, 2 hypersparc 150 cpus

I have 3 services that I mount and test.
Testing works fine running axis client to axis server.
(several hundred parallel calls, hundred serial calls, etc.)

Axis crashes when accessed via pocketsoap 1.2.3 client
(and when it crashes entire servlet container, i.e. tomcat,
goes with it).  Upgrading pocketsoap to 1.3.0 fixed
_but_ the idea that a malformed request can crash your
production servlet container is daunting to say the
least.

Prior to axis beta 2 I was using apache soap 2.2 and
that environment handled the pocletsoap 1.2.3 requests
fine.  I had to drop soap 2.2 and switch to axis because
I have services that call other services (rarely) but
under apache soap 2.2. that caused a race condition
lockup with everything grinding to a complete halt.
Axis does not have that race problem, but going belly
up's no fun.

I haven't tested the problem on more common platforms
(i.e. linux/win2k) yet.

Also, when I left the service running Sunday evening
all was well.  Came back this morning to run some
more data tests and it was hosed again.

Any clues?

thanks,
Heitzso

Re: axis crashing on solaris 8 sparc20

Posted by Heitzso <he...@bellsouth.net>.
Not certain how important it is ...but I was using
xerces 1.4.3.  Could someone comment re stability of
xerces 1.4.3 versus 2.0.1 or 1.4.4 in context of axis?

thanks,
Heitzso