Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <or...@apache.org> on 2011/07/06 02:49:59 UTC

When Is a Committer a Committer for Real?

For Initial Committers and Invited Committers, sending in your preferred Apache User Name does not make you a committer yet.  That makes your ID Pending, but your committer status is not yet set up.

An e-mail from root@apache.org (sometimes a week later) will indicate when the Apache User Name has been set up and some initial things to do with it.

In ideal order,
 1. Change the password you're given to one that is your secret
 2. Update the MailAlias.txt file to provide all mail aliases you want recognized as you
 3. Check out a working folder of the incubator/ooo/ tree on SVN.
 4. An Initial Committer should then subscribe to ooo-private@incubator.apache.org to begin their PPMC participation. Invited Committers should also do this if their invitation included participation on the PPMC.

 3a. Committers who are authorized for the project SVN and other project-specific resources will be found on this list, by their newly-minted user name (aka SVN id):
<http://people.apache.org/committers-by-project.html#ooo>.

 3b. There is one more important step.  Make sure that your checkout from the project SVN is via the httpS:// URI, not the plain http:// URI.  Commits only work through the https:// URI.  A committer will be challenged to provide their SVN id and password on the first check-in.  Depending on the SVN client used, that may be saved to be automatically provided on future commits (or not).

- Dennis