Posted to user@flume.apache.org by Eran Kutner <er...@gigya.com> on 2011/10/23 18:07:29 UTC

Collector stops working

Hi,
I'm having a problem where flume collectors occasionally stop working under
heavy load.
I'm writing something like 1500-2000 events per second to my collectors, and
occasionally they will just stop working. Nothing is written to the log the
only indication that this is happening is that I see 0 messages being
delivered when looking in the flume stats web page  and events start pilling
up in the agents. Restarting the service solves the problem for a while
(anything from a few minutes to a few days).
An interesting thing to note is that this seems to be load related. It used
to happen a lot more but then I split the collector into three virtual nodes
and balanced the traffic on them and now it happens a lot less. Also, while
one virtual collector stops working the others, on the same machine,
continue to work fine.

My collector configuration looks like this: collectorSource(54001) |
collector(600000) {
escapedFormatDfs("hdfs://hadoop1-m1:8020/raw-events/%Y-%m-%d/",
"events-%{rolltag}-f01-c1.snappy", seqfile("SnappyCodec")) };

I'm using 0.9.5 I've built a few weeks ago.

Any ideas what can be causing it?

-eran

Re: Collector stops working

Posted by Mingjie Lai <mj...@gmail.com>.
Cameron.

flume-808 should be for another race condition, I'm not sure it helps to
fix the rollsink issue. However I'm glad you tried it.

Can you post your fix to RollSink to FLUME-798 (this one, right?)?

Thanks,
Mingjie

Re: Collector stops working

Posted by Cameron Gandevia <cg...@gmail.com>.
Hey

--
Thanks

Cameron Gandevia

Re: Collector stops working

Posted by Eran Kutner <er...@gigya.com>.

Re: Collector stops working

Posted by Eric Sammer <es...@cloudera.com>.

Re: Collector stops working

Posted by Mingjie Lai <mj...@gmail.com>.

Re: Collector stops working

Posted by "Alexander C.H. Lorenz" <wg...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Eran,

what says the flume-master? Could be a broken connection to the master, the
master stores in a zookeeper store the configs and running state. Also I
noticed in past if the namennode has some trouble the flume-collectors
stopped without a message. In a virtual environment check the hypervisor,
could be also a blocking state from a underlaying network stack (mostly
happen in ESX).

regards,
 Alex

--