Posted to users@maven.apache.org by sarmahdi <sa...@hotmail.com> on 2012/02/21 17:08:30 UTC

maven: scm: clearcase URL help

Hello all,
I am trying to connect to a remote clearcase to update my view

I just started on this project with Clear case and been asked to maven ize
the project and update the view from clearcase

I added the scm tag and added the clearcase-settings.xml defining the
clearcasetype as UCM

I need some help with the connection URL:

I went to the SCM plugin for CC page and the URL for UCM is :

At some places it says that the POM in the folder of the project (inside the
clear case view) should only contain scm:clearcase, but when i try mvn
scm:validate with that then i get the error :

[ERROR] Validation of scm url connection (connectionUrl) failed :
[ERROR] Illegal URL: (ClearCaseUCM need more parameters. Expected url format
: [view_name]|[configspec]|[vob_name]|[stream_name])
[ERROR] The invalid scm url connection: 'scm:clearcase:'.

I added the view name , vob name and stream name but I dont know what the
config spec and elementName should be. is the config-spec the host name of
the clear case server. After adding the hostname as the config spec i get
this error :   http://codepad.org/ZXCLskCR  exception on mvn validate with
URL on codepad

I will appreciate if anyone can guide me to complete these two values for my
URL connection.

Thanks
Syed...

RE: maven: scm: clearcase URL help

Posted by "Bobbepalli, Purnachandrarao" <pu...@chase.com>.
Use like this....

In place of svn use clear case ...
<scm>

Let me know still having any issues.

Thanks
PurnachandraRao.

[...]

under applicable law.  If you are not the intended recipient, you
thereon) is STRICTLY PROHIBITED.  Although this transmission and
any attachments are believed to be free of any virus or other
defect that might affect any computer system into which it is
received and opened, it is the responsibility of the recipient to
ensure that it is virus free and no responsibility is accepted by
JPMorgan Chase & Co., its subsidiaries and affiliates, as
applicable, for any loss or damage arising in any way from its use.
 If you received this transmission in error, please immediately
contact the sender and destroy the material in its entirety,

RE: maven: scm: clearcase URL help

Posted by sarmahdi <sa...@hotmail.com>.
Hi Lyons,

Really appreciate your help here. see, the problem is that maven is not my
issue here, its lack of knowledge of CC thats holding me i guess.

in your reply :

    <scm>
                <connection>scm:clearcase:*load
/some/load/rule*:*/your/project/vob*:your_stream_name</connection>
        </scm>

load /some/load/rule: i dont know where to get this load rule. is this a
path to a rule file. at some places in the maven scm sites for cc it said
some config-spec.txt

/your/project/vob: is this the local path to my view like :

C:/cc_views/UserName_CompanyName_ProjectName_Dev/COMP_ProjectName_vob/

my clearcase-settings.xml only has this as stated on the maven scm site for
cc:
<clearcase-settings>
    <clearcaseType>UCM</clearcaseType>
</clearcase-settings>

Thanks for the help.

RE: maven: scm: clearcase URL help

Posted by sarmahdi <sa...@hotmail.com>.
Lyons,

I tried to use pipes in my url as i had to add my local path for the vob and
there was a colon in C:\My\localpath....  :

 <scm>

<connection>scm:clearcase|[UserName_Local_finApp_Dev]|\\222.222.222.222\cc_drivespace\views\Company\Useranme\Username_Local_finApp_Dev.vws\config_spec|C:\My\localpath\Comp_Local_finApp_vob|Local_finApp_Dev</connection>
        <developerConnection></developerConnection>
        <url></url>
    </scm>

it says that when i run mvn scm:validate

[INFO] connectionUrl scm connection string is valid.
[INFO] project.scm.connection scm connection string is valid.

but then it fails with this error.

Caused by: org.apache.maven.plugin.PluginExecutionException: Execution
default-cli of goal org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-scm-plugin:1.6:validate
failed: String index out of range: -4
	at
org.apache.maven.plugin.DefaultBuildPluginManager.executeMojo(DefaultBuildPluginManager.java:110)
	at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.MojoExecutor.execute(MojoExecutor.java:209)

I will appreciate your help.

Thanks.

RE: maven: scm: clearcase URL help

Posted by "Lyons, Roy" <Ro...@cmegroup.com>.
FYI -- this is the format we used for a couple of years here with the release plugin, before we moved to git.

You also need a clearcase-settings.xml in your $MAVEN_HOME/conf directory containing something like this:
<clearcase-settings>
  <clearcaseType>UCM</clearcaseType>
  <useVWSParameter>true</useVWSParameter>
  <viewstore>/net/ccview1/viewstg1/</viewstore>
</clearcase-settings

Posted by "Lyons, Roy" <Ro...@cmegroup.com>.
	<scm>

Posted by sarmahdi <sa...@hotmail.com>.
Thanks for the reply!

No in CC it will be a bit different i think.

I now know that config-spec is a txt file with something like this :

element * CHECKEDOUT
element * /main/LATEST
load <load_directory>

I have no idea where to get this file from. I dont think my CC admin will
know either. I am using a UCM CC Snapshot view. the worst part is that I
dont know how to work with CC in depth either. I tried finding for a
config-spec file in the views folder for each project i have updated from CC
streams but there is nothing there. I will have to generate it some how but
i do not know what exactly goes in there.

I will only run mvn scm:validate or scm:update  and then mvn install in the
projects directory. So i do not need to check out anything either.

svn would be easier to work with i suppose i ahve used it before. CC is just
a complex brand of animal i guess.. :(

Thanks for the reply.

Posted by "Bobbepalli, Purnachandrarao" <pu...@chase.com>.
Use like this....

In place of svn use clear case ...
<scm>
<developerConnection>scm:svn: <subversion URL></developerConnection>

Posted by sarmahdi <sa...@hotmail.com>.
Hello all!

I saw where the problem was: (apologies for the stupidity in advance)

My scm listing was as follows:

<scm>

<connection>scm:clearcase|someview|somvob|RB_Local_eCorp_II_vob|Local_eCorp_II_Dev</connection>
<developerConnection></developerConnection>
 <url></url>
    </scm>

the problem was that my developer connection is empty so it was reading an
empty URL which was giving me a stringoutofboundexception. I thought that if
i made it empty it will not be read cos i was not really using it anyways in
any profile. but it was still validated and read none the less. (maybe not
including it is a better idea than leaviung it empty but i didnt try it: i
have the same url for connection and developerconnection now)

So this was the issue. Though in the process i was able to sort out the
clearcase URL.

Thanks All. esp Lyons.

Posted by sarmahdi <sa...@hotmail.com>.
:(

sigh!

I changed my viewName to : the remotepath, changed my configspec to "load
/Comp_Local_finApp_vob" (without quotes ofcourse), my vobName:
Comp_Local_finApp_vob

kept the stream name as it was the same.

I also changed my configspec to the remote path to my UCM generated
config_spec file
as in :

<connection>scm:clearcase|//remotehost/ccstg_d/views/company/UserName|//remotehost/ccstg_d/views/comp/Username/Username_Local_finApp_Dev.vws/config_spec|/Comp_Local_finApp_vob|Local_finApp_Dev</connection>

I also added "Username_Local_finApp_Dev.vws" in the viewName at the end to
give it a .vws directory to point to
so for viewName I tried:
1)//remotehost/ccstg_d/views/company/UserName
2)//remotehost/ccstg_d/views/company/UserName/Username_Local_finApp_Dev.vws
tried them both alternatively and Both didnt work

for my configSpec part
1)load /Comp_Local_finApp_vob
2)//remotehost/ccstg_d/views/comp/Username/Username_Local_finApp_Dev.vws/config_spec
(made sure it exists on the remote path and I can browse to this directory
as well)
tried them both alternatively and Both didnt work

But all of them gave me the same exception of
Stringindexoutofboundexception.

SO... i looked into the exception more clearly:

here it is my research on the maven scm provider code :

the exception to me comes like this :

Caused by: java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException: String index out of
range: -4
	at java.lang.String.substring(String.java:1937)
	at java.lang.String.substring(String.java:1904)
	at
org.apache.maven.scm.provider.ScmUrlUtils.getDelimiter(ScmUrlUtils.java:51)
	at
org.apache.maven.scm.provider.ScmUrlUtils.getProvider(ScmUrlUtils.java:76)

I went into the
http://grepcode.com/file/repo1.maven.org/maven2/org.apache.maven.scm/maven-scm-api/1.5/org/apache/maven/scm/provider/ScmUrlUtils.java#ScmUrlUtils.getDelimiter%28java.lang.String%29
ScmUrlUtils.java.getDelimeter()

and it is trying to substring with int 4

scmUrl = scmUrl.substring( 4 ); // which should give it substring after
"scm:"

now this line is the one giving me the exception at substring(4). and with
"String index out of range: -4 "
it seems that it is an empty string (they didnt check for an empty string or
null string).

NOW! :( it seems the issue is some where else and not with any of the
parameters that I am giving (at least they are not the issue here for now)

I have no idea how to solve this.

Maven was going very easy with me uptill now, i think it is showing me some
pain now....

I will appreciate any comment or suggestions. (as I badly need some)
Thanks for the help and bearing with me. (esp with my lack of knowledge in
maven as well as clearcase)

Posted by "Lyons, Roy" <Ro...@cmegroup.com>.
the biggest problem is that you are trying to use physical locations.

The load rule is definitely incorrect.  this needs to be the component root.

vob name is incorrect -- this needs to be the vob tag, not some physical location

you also don't need to specify the view -- it creates its own view -- hence you need to give it a view storage location where it can create a view.

also, don't use \  -- use /.

load rule as I see it here would be "load /Comp_Local_finApp_vob"  and the view storage location would be //remotehost/ccstg_d/views/comp/Username