Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Jim Martinez <jj...@bigbigorg.org> on 2007/03/21 02:19:29 UTC

some 2007 conference dates

Since Stas isn't likely to pimp the conferences, here's a late attempt.

YAPC::NA June 25th through 27th, Houston, Texas
 http://conferences.mongueurs.net/yn2007/
 Abstract Submission Deadline - April 9th

OSCON July 23-27, 2007 in Portland, Oregon
 http://conferences.oreillynet.com/os2007/
 Call For Participation Is Now Closed.

ApacheCon (??last year it was in Austin in October??)
 http://www.apachecon.com/main/

What topics would interest you at YAPC::NA?  If you're thinking of
submitting, consider preemptive feedback by posting a summary of what
you'd submit.

If you're thinking of making a submission for OSCON, here are some topics
that would interest me:

 * anything with Apache::Test
 * maintaining web applications in a multi developer
   environment, including these subtopics
   ** building a test suite
      -- find a bug, add a test
      -- options for limited tests and
         comprehensive testing (developers often
         want to run an abbreviated version of the
         test suite, while a nightly automated
         smoke test should run all the tests)
      -- using a test suite to evaluate upgrades.  I'm
         still using postgresql 7 and mod perl 1 and
         a test suite would help when I upgrade to
         postgresql 8, mod perl 2, perl 5.10 and maybe
         even for (gasp) perl 6 (angelic music goes here).
   ** integrating human QA with a test suite

 * Mod perl development review
 * Bleeding edge mod perl
 * Not strictly perl topics
   - avoiding the "death march" (kept me out of YAPC 06)
   - refactoring before adding a feature
   - subversion and branching (stable head or a production branch,
     maybe something about svnmerge)

A test suite is essential for maintaining complex web applications, which
is why I love Apache::Test.  I can't understand why others seem under
impressed with it.

Hmmm, Apache::Test
 http://perl.apache.org/docs/general/testing/testing.html

Warm regards,
Jim

Re: some 2007 conference dates

Posted by "Philip M. Gollucci" <pg...@p6m7g8.com>.
Jim Martinez wrote:
> Since Stas isn't likely to pimp the conferences, here's a late attempt.
I actually gave Stas's tutorial for practical mod_perl2  (TU-18 in 2005
at ApacheCon US)
Also added my own libapreq presentation to the end of that.

I was going to do it again in 2006 for AC Europe but the Tutorial got
lost in the shuffle. I submitted the libapreq part as a Session which
was not selected. (*sigh*)

I'm up for doing something at YAPC::NA but I need to clear that with
$work first.

> YAPC::NA June 25th through 27th, Houston, Texas
>  http://conferences.mongueurs.net/yn2007/
>  Abstract Submission Deadline - April 9th
>
> OSCON July 23-27, 2007 in Portland, Oregon
>  http://conferences.oreillynet.com/os2007/
>  Call For Participation Is Now Closed.
>
> ApacheCon (??last year it was in Austin in October??)
>  http://www.apachecon.com/main/
Europe is May 1-7 in Amsterdam
but CFP is closed.

AC US 2007 is
Atlanta, Georgia - at the Westin Peachtree Plaza Hotel. training are on
Nov, 12 & 13 and the conference on Nov. 14 - 16.
(site not up just yet)

1024D/EC88A0BF 0DE5 C55C 6BF3 B235 2DAB  B89E 1324 9B4F EC88 A0BF

Work like you don't need the money,
love like you'll never get hurt,
and dance like nobody's watching.

Re: some 2007 conference dates

Posted by Thomas Klausner <do...@cpan.org>.
Hi!

On Tue, Mar 20, 2007 at 09:19:29PM -0400, Jim Martinez wrote:

> YAPC::NA June 25th through 27th, Houston, Texas
>  http://conferences.mongueurs.net/yn2007/
>  Abstract Submission Deadline - April 9th

There's also YAPC::Europe, 28th to 30th August 2007, in Vienna, Austria
  http://vienna.yapceurope.org/

The Deadline for abstract submission is 27th May 2007, but if you submit
a proposal until 31th March you might win a book/DVD on Vienna:
  http://yapceu2007.zsi.at/?p=9
  (look for the paragraph titled 'The good news')

--
#!/usr/bin/perl                               http://domm.zsi.at