Posted to dev@openwebbeans.apache.org by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de> on 2009/01/10 19:45:39 UTC

WebBeans 'light'

Hi!

I know the WebBeans spec is demanding either a full EJB server or at least an EJB light container.

But if someone (like me) likes to NOT use EJB at all, and also no JMS, then WebBeans might still be very interesting in combination with a small standalone servlet engine like tomcat or jetty + JSF for the frontend + JPA for ORM.

What about this combination? Do we like to modularize OpenWebBeans in a way that a scaled down approach would work also?

I'm not sure if this is possible without infringing the spec or if this is implementable at all. WDYT?

LieGrü,
strub

Re: WebBeans 'light'

Posted by Gurkan Erdogdu <gu...@yahoo.com>.
I think that, we are trying to implement the specification as a whole and indeed this specification is defined for using it in the Java EE 6.0 application servers or EJB 3.1 lite containers in Java SE environment. And I said before, one of the compelling requirement of the specification is that it must be the integrated functionality of the Java EE 6.0 servers. So somehow modularity depends on the how we integrate OpenWebBeans into the application server via SPI.

In fact, OWB will just define the SPI for the environment it runs, this maybe the java web server like Tomcat or full Java EE application server like GlassFish. For example, If the Tomcat does not depends on the EJB, it does not implement the EJB stuff SPI.

we may think about the modularity after the M1 release in more detail.

/Gurkan

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.

Re: WebBeans 'light'

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.