Posted to user@guacamole.apache.org by brian mullan <bm...@gmail.com> on 2019/03/23 12:35:12 UTC

another possible printing option CPDB

Printing from a Guacamole connection usually involves either:

   - the default printing to a PDF, downloading, then printing the PDF
   locally
   - using something like Google Cloud Print

I just learned of another option called Common Print Dialog Backends (CPDB):

https://jeremy.bicha.net/2018/10/14/google-cloud-print-in-ubuntu/

Although the article mentions this being available in Ubuntu 19.04.. it is
available in 18.04 repositories also.

It may also be appearing in other Distro's I would imagine as I think the
concept of an independent front-end Dialog to CUPS, Google Cloud Print etc
seems to be a good idea to me.

After installing on a Guacamole connected Ubuntu Cloud server & attempting
to print, the Printer Dialog automatically showed my Google Drive as an
option to print to.

Selecting that a PDF was created of the document and it was transparently
copied to my Google Drive.

From there I could click on it with my local browser and print locally.

It may be 1/2 dozen of one 6 of the other type of option compared to
Guacamole's default printing but I thought I'd at least tell others about
it.

Brian