Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Eric <sp...@scoot.netis.com> on 2006/09/01 21:21:52 UTC

Resource that lists differences between CVS and SVN

Is there a resource that lists, preferably in tabular form, the
differences, advantages, and disadvantages between Subversion and CVS?

We are migrating from CVS to Subversion and I'm pretty much convinced that
Subversion is "better" but I need to know exactly what to tell others
(clients, associates, etc.) who ask me why we are bothering making the switch.

If there is a link to which I can point people that would be most helpful.

I have seen a few points raised up here and there in "the book" and on the
Subversion website but if all of that information is collected together in
one place it will make life so much easier.

Thanks...

Re: Checking out files rather than directories

Posted by marc gonzalez-carnicer <ca...@gmail.com>.
hi,

2006/9/21, Eric <sp...@scoot.netis.com>:

> Did I misunderstand that capability of Subversion or is that a limitation
> of SmartSVN?

by reading your email, i guess you misunderstand
the way subversion works. in svn you don't checkout
(exclusively) or checkin files, as you do in VSS, CVS,
SCCS. svn has a different way of seeing things that
helps overcome the limitations of those older VCSs.

i'd suggest you to read the subversion book, more
precisely, the section "versioning models" in chapter
2.

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.2/svn-book.html#svn.basic.vsn-models

RE: Re: Checking out files rather than directories

Posted by Ch...@qimonda.com.
> svn co <myURL>/Imakefile file/Imakefile
svn: URL '<myURL>/Imakefile' refers to a file, not a directory

IMHO, this is another Subversion misfortune!

Posted by Talden <ta...@gmail.com>.

Re: Resource that lists differences between CVS and SVN

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.
On 9/1/06, Eric <sp...@scoot.netis.com> wrote:

> Is there a resource that lists, preferably in tabular form, the
> differences, advantages, and disadvantages between Subversion and CVS?
>
> We are migrating from CVS to Subversion and I'm pretty much convinced that
> Subversion is "better" but I need to know exactly what to tell others
> (clients, associates, etc.) who ask me why we are bothering making the switch.
>
> If there is a link to which I can point people that would be most helpful.
>
> I have seen a few points raised up here and there in "the book" and on the
> Subversion website but if all of that information is collected together in
> one place it will make life so much easier.

A similar topic was just discussed earlier this week, Subversion vs.
Perforce. Specifically for SVN vs. CVS, have a look at
http://www.pushok.com/soft_svn_vscvs.php

There's also "Subversion vs. <insert product of choice here>", at
http://www.szabgab.com/subversion_vs_xyz.html

A shortish blog post:
http://www.joestump.net/913108051/subversion-vs-cvs-review.html

There have been numerous threads on the subject on this mailing list,
I'm sure.  A simple Google search for "Subversion vs. CVS" turns up
over a half-million hits.

RE: Resource that lists differences between CVS and SVN

Posted by Chance Yohman <cy...@technologysystemsinc.com>.
Eric,

Here is one of the references my company consulted when adopting svn.

http://better-scm.berlios.de/comparison/comparison.html

Since their site is down for maintenance currently, consult the cached
version from Google-

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:PHAwfzkmjXwJ:better-scm.berlios.de/comp
arison/comparison.html+http://better-scm.berlios.de/comparison/comparison.ht
ml&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=1&client=firefox-a

Have a nice day,

Chance Yohman
Engineer
Technology Systems, Inc.