Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Lawson.Adam" <Ad...@ftb.ca.gov> on 2003/12/03 23:48:32 UTC

[users@httpd] FW: (98)Address already in use: make_sock: could not bind to address 158.96.127.173:80 no listening sockets available, shutting down

Hello,

	New and enthusiatic (yet frustrated) linux/Apache user with a problem I haven't been able to resolve thus far and need help from the experts. Please let me know and accept my apologies if this is the wrong mailing list for Apache support.

	Environment:
	First time linux install, second attempt to run Apache. (Last attempt worked with many bugs so I re-installed RH9 and tried again, now seeing this problem).
	I am running RH9 with Apache v2.0.40 binary compiled from scratch (.tar.gz) as downloaded and installed following instructs expressly as possible by apache.org
	HTTPD was installed during the RH installation process and the box is on a network with PUBLIC IP addresses - this machine 9also with a public IP) is the machine on which I am trying to get Apache to run.
	* Admin'g server using Webmin browser-based admin tool

	Problem/ Experience Level:
	ERROR REC'D when trying to start the httpd service:
	"(98)Address already in use: make_sock: could not bind to address 158.96.127.173:80 no listening sockets available, shutting down"

	I cannot start the HTTPD service due to the error message in the subject. I am EXTREMELY new to linux and the steps to run an apache webserver.

	Attempted fixes:
	Re-install Apache (in case I had an old version)
	Checked http.conf for duplicate Listen directives
	Set RH Security Level to NO FIREWALL
	Made sure HTTPD service tries to start at boot-up
	Deleted all rules form iptables from within Webmin (/etc/sysconfig/iptables does not exist)
	I do not know what else I am missing. Apache just refuses to start. Help!

	AdamL
	IBM Global Services

Re: [users@httpd] FW: (98)Address already in use: make_sock: could not bind to address 158.96.127.173:80 no listening sockets available, shutting down

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
The error message in the subject means there is already a web server
running on port 80.  If you have redhat's version of apache, you need to
get rid of it before you install the version from apache.org.  Use rpm to
uninstall the apache packages.

Joshua.