Posted to users@myfaces.apache.org by Woodchuck <wo...@yahoo.com> on 2005/04/08 18:02:35 UTC

[OT] Re: JSTL and JSF

i felt the same way long time ago when Struts tags could not do
everything i wanted to, and i felt the need to use (brace yourself)
scriptlets.

but then i discovered JSTL and it's great mainly because its
EL-friendly.

now my Struts tags live happily together with JSTL tags, they are like
best friends!  :)

why can't JSF be best friends with JSTL?

woodchuck

--- Robert Breidecker <rb...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I have a couple of design type of questions regarding
> use of JSTL with JSF and MyFaces.
>
> 1.  I would love to not have to use JSTL in my
> application.  However I have a situation where I can't
> get around it.  I need to be able to disable a command
> link.  It would be nice if the commandLink component
> had this property, but it does not.  I feel that if I
> need to use JSTL, that this is the result of some
> deficiency in JSF.  Do you agree with this statement?
>
> 2.  Why does MyFaces only ship with jstl.jar and not
> standard.jar when JSTL required it also?
>
> Thanks,
> Rob Breidecker

> http://mail.yahoo.com

__________________________________
Yahoo! Messenger

Re: [OT] Re: JSTL and JSF

Posted by Heath Borders <he...@gmail.com>.
They can play well together. However, features exist by default in JSF tags
such that you basically don't need JSTL. We don't use any JSTL throughout
our entire application (well over 500 different JSP pages).

On Apr 8, 2005 11:02 AM, Woodchuck <wo...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> i felt the same way long time ago when Struts tags could not do
> everything i wanted to, and i felt the need to use (brace yourself)
> scriptlets.
>
> but then i discovered JSTL and it's great mainly because its
> EL-friendly.
>
> now my Struts tags live happily together with JSTL tags, they are like
> best friends! :)
>
> why can't JSF be best friends with JSTL?
>
> woodchuck
>

> --- Robert Breidecker <rb...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > I have a couple of design type of questions regarding
> > use of JSTL with JSF and MyFaces.
> >
> > 1. I would love to not have to use JSTL in my
> > application. However I have a situation where I can't
> > get around it. I need to be able to disable a command
> > link. It would be nice if the commandLink component
> > had this property, but it does not. I feel that if I
> > need to use JSTL, that this is the result of some
> > deficiency in JSF. Do you agree with this statement?
> >
> > 2. Why does MyFaces only ship with jstl.jar and not
> > standard.jar when JSTL required it also?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Rob Breidecker

> > http://mail.yahoo.com

> Yahoo! Messenger