Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com> on 2007/09/28 23:54:49 UTC

[VOTE] Move Commons Proxy to Proper...

All,

I believe it is time to move Commons Proxy out of the sandbox and into
Commons Proper.  It appears to be very close to a 1.0 release.  This
vote will be left open until 10/05/2007 18:00 EDT (that's my timezone
:).  So far, the votes are:

Niall Pemberton: +1
Paul Benedict: +1
Ben Speakmon: +1 nonbinding
Henri Yandell: +1
Luc Maisonobe: +1
James Carman: +1

I do not know which of these votes are binding/non-binding.

Thank you,

James Carman

Re: [VOTE] Move Commons Proxy to Proper...

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de>.
James Carman wrote:

> All,
>
> I believe it is time to move Commons Proxy out of the sandbox and into
> Commons Proper.  It appears to be very close to a 1.0 release.  This
> vote will be left open until 10/05/2007 18:00 EDT (that's my timezone
> :).  So far, the votes are:
>
> Niall Pemberton: +1
> Paul Benedict: +1
> Ben Speakmon: +1 nonbinding
> Henri Yandell: +1
> Luc Maisonobe: +1
> James Carman: +1
>
> I do not know which of these votes are binding/non-binding.
>
> Thank you,
>
> James Carman

+1

- Jörg

Re: [RESULT][VOTE] Move Commons Proxy to Proper...

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
On 10/5/07, James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com> wrote:
> On 10/5/07, Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 10/5/07, James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com> wrote:
> > > I put on the original that I would leave it open until this evening.
> >
> > Apologies, didn't notice that
> >
> > > So, what happens next?  I need to update some URLs in the pom.xml file
> > > since the SVN repo will be moving.
> >
> > Yes and change the parent in the pom.xml from "commons-sandbox-parent"
> > to "commons-parent".
> >
> > Also move the svn:externals for proxy from "trunks-sandbox" to "trunks-proper"
>
> So, do we move the code in SVN first and then fix up the pom, etc.  Or
> do I fix the stuff first and then move it?

I would move it first - but IMO its not a big deal either way.

Niall

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
Dennis Lundberg wrote:
> Niall Pemberton wrote:
>> On 10/5/07, James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com> wrote:
>>> I put on the original that I would leave it open until this evening.
>>
>> Apologies, didn't notice that
>>
>>> So, what happens next?  I need to update some URLs in the pom.xml file
>>> since the SVN repo will be moving.
>>
>> Yes and change the parent in the pom.xml from "commons-sandbox-parent"
>> to "commons-parent".
>>
>> Also move the svn:externals for proxy from "trunks-sandbox" to
>> "trunks-proper"
>>
>>>  I should  also make a change to
>>> the main site to list it in the "proper" components section.
>>
>> Yes - both on the main "index" page and also on the menu.
>>
>> The other thing that needs doing is moving the Jira issues from under
>> Sandbox to a (new) PROXY jira project. Not done that myself, so can't
>> help there but hopefully someone else who knows will help if you need
>> it.
>
> I've created a new JIRA project with the key PROXY, and added it to the
> commons project group. All issues with component=proxy in Commons
> sandbox has been moved to PROXY.
>
> I can't seem to set James as the assignee for
>   https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PROXY-2
>
> I'm not sure why he isn't available in the list :-( I have however added
> James to the commons-developers group, which should give him the correct
> rights.
>
> James, can you try to assign PROXY-2 to yourself?

Never mind, I found it and fixed it.

>> Niall

Dennis Lundberg

Re: [RESULT][VOTE] Move Commons Proxy to Proper...

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
Niall Pemberton wrote:
> On 10/5/07, James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com> wrote:
>> I put on the original that I would leave it open until this evening.
>
> Apologies, didn't notice that
>
>> So, what happens next?  I need to update some URLs in the pom.xml file
>> since the SVN repo will be moving.
>
> Yes and change the parent in the pom.xml from "commons-sandbox-parent"
> to "commons-parent".
>
> Also move the svn:externals for proxy from "trunks-sandbox" to "trunks-proper"
>
>>  I should  also make a change to
>> the main site to list it in the "proper" components section.
>
> Yes - both on the main "index" page and also on the menu.
>
> The other thing that needs doing is moving the Jira issues from under
> Sandbox to a (new) PROXY jira project. Not done that myself, so can't
> help there but hopefully someone else who knows will help if you need
> it.

I've created a new JIRA project with the key PROXY, and added it to the
commons project group. All issues with component=proxy in Commons
sandbox has been moved to PROXY.

I can't seem to set James as the assignee for
   https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PROXY-2

I'm not sure why he isn't available in the list :-( I have however added
James to the commons-developers group, which should give him the correct
rights.

James, can you try to assign PROXY-2 to yourself?

> Niall
>
>> On 10/5/07, Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Its been more than 72 hours and this votes passes with eight +1 votes
>>> (five binding) :
>>>
>>> Niall Pemberton: +1 (binding)
>>> Paul Benedict: +1
>>> Ben Speakmon: +1
>>> Henri Yandell: +1 (binding)
>>> Luc Maisonobe: +1 (binding)
>>> James Carman: +1
>>> Jörg Schaible: +1 (binding)
>>> Oliver Heger: +1 (binding)
>>>
>>> Time to go ahead and move proxy out of the Sandbox into proper :)
>>>
>>> Niall

Dennis Lundberg

Re: [RESULT][VOTE] Move Commons Proxy to Proper...

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
On 10/5/07, James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com> wrote:
> Yeah, I found it.  So far, I've modified:
>
> commons-build\menus\components-items.ent
> commons-build\menus\sandbox-items.ent
> commons-build\parts\components-table.ent
> commons-build\parts\sandbox-table.ent
>
> Is there anything else?  It said on the documentation that I should
> add a promotion announcement to "jakarta-site/news.xml" document.
> Since Commons is TLP now, would I add (or request to have added) an
> announcement to the main site's news section?  Also, I don't know
> where to set up the .htaccess redirect.

We probably don't have one - we used to modify the Jakarta one.

Ideally it needs to go in the maven xdocs, be copied over to the
target/docs/ and deployed to 'production'. Editing one by hand at
/www/commons.apache.org/.htaccess will have to do for now (unless
someone wants to do the maven bit I mentioned).

Hen

Re: [RESULT][VOTE] Move Commons Proxy to Proper...

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
Yeah, I found it.  So far, I've modified:

commons-build\menus\components-items.ent
commons-build\menus\sandbox-items.ent
commons-build\parts\components-table.ent
commons-build\parts\sandbox-table.ent

Is there anything else?  It said on the documentation that I should
add a promotion announcement to "jakarta-site/news.xml" document.
Since Commons is TLP now, would I add (or request to have added) an
announcement to the main site's news section?  Also, I don't know
where to set up the .htaccess redirect.

Thanks,

James

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
James Carman wrote:
> "Move project in SVN" - done
> "Tag the current version" - done
> "Remove from trunk-sandbox" - done
> "if your project were added to trunk-sandbox/buildall.sh, remove it
> from this file" - done
> "Add to trunk-proper" - done
> "Update the web site for your component." - waiting on password reset
> so that scp works :)
> "Update the commons web site to reflect your component's move." -
> don't know where to find this in SVN, it's not at commons/site?

It is in commons-build. Not the most obvious place :-/

I've been meaning to get move the site to its own module in svn and
convert it to Maven 2. Hopefully I'll find the time soon.

> On 10/5/07, Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I am not familiar with svn:externals (I know just enough SVN to be
>>> dangerous I guess) and I don't have my book with me.  Do we have any
>>> docs at ASF somewhere that discusses how/why we use this?  I don't see
>>> the svn:externals property set on the sandbox/proxy or the
>>> sandbox/proxy/trunk directories currently.  Otherwise, I'd just change
>>> them accordingly.
>>>
>> <snip/>
>>
>> The following may help (adjust for the fact that we're not in Jakarta anymore):
>>
>>  http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-commons/MovingFromSandboxToProperSVN
>>
>> -Rahul

Dennis Lundberg

Re: [RESULT][VOTE] Move Commons Proxy to Proper...

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
"Move project in SVN" - done

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
I put on the original that I would leave it open until this evening.
So, what happens next?  I need to update some URLs in the pom.xml file
since the SVN repo will be moving.  I should  also make a change to

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Oliver Heger <ol...@oliver-heger.de>.
James Carman wrote:
> All,
>
> I believe it is time to move Commons Proxy out of the sandbox and into
> Commons Proper.  It appears to be very close to a 1.0 release.  This
> vote will be left open until 10/05/2007 18:00 EDT (that's my timezone
> :).  So far, the votes are:
>
> Niall Pemberton: +1
> Paul Benedict: +1
> Ben Speakmon: +1 nonbinding
> Henri Yandell: +1
> Luc Maisonobe: +1
> James Carman: +1
>
> I do not know which of these votes are binding/non-binding.
>
> Thank you,
>
> James Carman

+1 (binding)

Oliver