Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Michael Wentzel <we...@aswethink.com> on 2001/12/31 17:51:05 UTC

RE: Linux/windows, database choice, hosting, and whether to plug in to apache or not

> 1.  Should it run on Windows or Linux?   I suspect I should
> use Linux but i Windows a viable option?

Matter of personal choice.  Many would say a linux server would be
more secure/stable but it really depends on what you're more comfortable
maintaining, your budget, and client preferences in my opinion.

> 2.  Should I plug Tomcat into Apache web-server or is the build-in
> web-server for Tomcat "good enough"?

If you have a large number of static pages I would go with Apache as your
primary webserver or if you have to serve up other forms of dynamic content
such as php, py, etc... but if you're only going to have servlet and/or jsp
content or only a small number of static pages Tomcat standalone will do
fine.

> 3.  Is mysql the best open source "free" database choice?

We use postgreSQL and it works well for us.  I believe postgreSQL works
better
than mySQL when datastores become larger but I'm not exactly sure.

HTH

---
Michael Wentzel
Software Developer