Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Bill Stoddard <wg...@gmail.com> on 2011/07/01 14:34:56 UTC

Re: Bluesky calls for a new mentor!

I am not certain on this point, but I believe Jack Cai would be
interested in being a mentor.  I don't think he is subscribed to this
mailing list tho.

Jack?

Bill

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
This reflects my sentiments as well.

Regards,
Alan

Posted by "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
On 7/1/2011 4:04 PM, Gavin McDonald wrote:

>> From: William A. Rowe Jr. [mailto:wrowe@rowe-clan.net]

>> We also made it clear the *author* should also commit their own code, and
>> all authors should become committers.
>
> Each term (semester) Bluesky will get a new crop of students (committers) and
> the old ones will be gone forever.

Sounds like SoC... and that's a pretty blanket generalization.  One would
hope a few students decide to continue contributing once their 'assignment'
is finished, and it's absolutely mandatory that the project continue to
accept their participation, if some so desire.

> Are we to keep on creating new committer accts for these folks knowing damn well
> that at the end of the term they disappear and a new lot appears? This is why they (
> when they did commit) shared accounts.

This differs from SoC how?

Re: Bluesky calls for a new mentor!

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
On Jul 1, 2011, at 2:04 PM, Gavin McDonald wrote:

> [...]

+1

I also don't feel the vote to retire should be tabled. I'm convinced this project is not going to gel into anything that would ever make it out of the incubator.

Ralph

Re: Bluesky calls for a new mentor!

Posted by Donald Whytock <dw...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 5:04 PM, Gavin McDonald <ga...@16degrees.com.au> wrote:
> Are we to keep on creating new committer accts for these folks knowing damn well
> that at the end of the term they disappear and a new lot appears? This is why they (
> when they did commit) shared accounts.

What if the students all served as contributors rather than
committers, with a core of committers that handled the contributions?
As long as a contribution is made to a JIRA, and said contribution was
flagged as being released to ASF, that should ensure clean IP, right?

Of course, that's presupposing all the code is maintained publicly from now on.

Don

RE: Bluesky calls for a new mentor!

Posted by Gavin McDonald <ga...@16degrees.com.au>.

Posted by "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.