Posted to log4cxx-dev@logging.apache.org by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org> on 2007/08/01 04:15:47 UTC

Re: Maven and configure options.

On Jul 31, 2007, at 3:12 PM, Andreas Fester wrote:

> Hi Tim,
>
> Tim Jones wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Since the recent updates to move to Maven (rendering automake
>> currently
>> out of action), is it possible to set options to be passed to
>> configure?
>
> I dont know (yet) how configure options can be passed to the maven
> build,
> but I just fixed the autotools build - if you want to beta-test
> it, feel free to try it out (everyone else also, of course ;-) )
>
> Best Regards,
>
> 	Andreas

Thanks Andreas.

Things were moved around to bring log4cxx into something approaching
Maven's Standard Directory Layout.  At the time, I tweaked the Ant
build file to reflect the new locations, but left the corresponding
autotools changes to Andreas.  The Maven build delegates to the Ant
build but doesn't replace it, so you have three options to build
log4cxx with different strengths.

Maven build - strengths: builds and deploys documentation,
weaknesses: doesn't allow command line options.
Ant build - strengths: supports Windows compilers, generates IDE
project files.  Weaknesses: adds a abstraction layer between you and
the compiler that make direct compiler tweaks more difficult.
autotools build - strengths: low-level control of compiler options.
Weaknesses: support for non-Unix heritage compilers.

The Maven build delegates to the Ant build and the Ant build reads
build.properties on start up.  If you want to tweak a Maven build,
you can set properties in build.properties or you can just manually
invoke the Ant build.