Posted to user-cs@ibatis.apache.org by Gilles Bayon <ib...@gmail.com> on 2006/10/11 21:18:40 UTC

iBATIS.NET Survey

Hello,

The iBATIS team wants to know your opinion / suggestion about iBATIS.NET.
This will help us to see what is important for you and which
improvements can be made in future version.

Thanks for participation.

* What operating system and .NET version are you using?

* In what contexts are you currently using iBATIS.NET?
- Windows Applications
- Web Applications
- Libraries
- Others...

* What is your use?
- Production
- Evaluation for a new application
- Testing
- Others...

* What do you think of the quality of these libraries?

* Why have you selected iBATIS.NET?
- For his Java support
- For his simplicity
- For his flexibility
- Others...

* What's your overall opinion of iBATIS?
- What you like / dislike?
- What could be improved?
- What problems do you encounter?
- What features are you most interested in?
- Others...

* About the documentation? (A book is on the rail :-)...)
- Is it clear?
- Which improvements do you want?
- More samples? Demo applications?
- Others...

* About yours projects using iBATIS.NET, your company?

_________________
Gilles Bayon.
iBATIS Team

Re: iBATIS.NET Survey

Posted by Uwe Lesta <le...@sbs-softwaresysteme.de>.

Gilles Bayon wrote:

> Hello,
>
> The iBATIS team wants to know your opinion / suggestion about iBATIS.NET.
> This will help us to see what is important for you and which
> improvements can be made in future version.
>
> Thanks for participation.
>
> * What operating system and .NET version are you using?

winXPsp2 WinXp Win2000 Win2kserver win2003server

net1.0 net1.1

> * In what contexts are you currently using iBATIS.NET?
> - Windows Applications
> - Web Applications
Yes
> - Libraries
> - Others...
>
> * What is your use?
> - Production
Yes
> - Evaluation for a new application
> - Testing
> - Others...
>
> * What do you think of the quality of these libraries?
>
> * Why have you selected iBATIS.NET?
> - For his Java support
> - For his simplicity
> - For his flexibility
Yes
> - Others...
to have independent DB layer

> * What's your overall opinion of iBATIS?
> - What you like / dislike?
> - What could be improved?
> - What problems do you encounter?
Caching, all other was DB spezific
> - What features are you most interested in?
> - Others...
>
> * About the documentation? (A book is on the rail :-)...)
> - Is it clear?
was very helpful ( good work )
> - Which improvements do you want?
> - More samples? Demo applications?

(small ;-) demos which are working out off the box whould be nice

> - Others...
>
> * About yours projects using iBATIS.NET, your company?

only 1 with a hard timeline and manny changes on the fly

--

Kind regards

Uwe
Lesta at SBS-Softwaresysteme.de

Re: iBATIS.NET Survey

Posted by Brian Kierstead <br...@fluidmedia.com>.
Gilles Bayon wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The iBATIS team wants to know your opinion / suggestion about iBATIS.NET.
> This will help us to see what is important for you and which
> improvements can be made in future version.
>
> Thanks for participation.
>
> * What operating system and .NET version are you using?
2000, XP, 2003, .NET 1.1 and 2.0

> * In what contexts are you currently using iBATIS.NET?
Web Applications
Web Services
> * What is your use?
Production

> * What do you think of the quality of these libraries?
They are quite good.  I've been using them for a while and the quality
has gone up a lot.  I don't find it necessary to include the source code
in projects anymore so I can debug when something goes wrong.  The
errors, particularly the nested exceptions, give me enough info to
figure out what the problem is.  Its quite rare now to hit an error that
isn't obvious.

> * Why have you selected iBATIS.NET?
Open Source and flexible for different database back-ends.

> * What's your overall opinion of iBATIS?
> - What you like / dislike?
I like the object mapping, obviously.  The maps are easy to use.
Dynamic sql is excellent!
> - What could be improved?
Documentation!!!

> * About the documentation? (A book is on the rail :-)...)
> - Is it clear?
Its clear for simple stuff, but if you want to do something outside of
that it can be tricky to figure out.  Fortunately, this list is quite
good for getting help.
> - Which improvements do you want?
Lots of samples.  Better explanations.  Patterns would be excellent
> - More samples? Demo applications?
Absolutely!
> - Others...
An updated version of NPetShop with a 2.0 architecture.

Re: iBATIS.NET Survey

Posted by Anderson Forteleza <af...@gmail.com>.

> * What operating system and .NET version are you using?

Windows XP, .NET 2.0

* In what contexts are you currently using iBATIS.NET?

Web Applications

* What is your use?

Production

* What do you think of the quality of these libraries?

Good organization, I'm happy with it so far.

* Why have you selected iBATIS.NET?

Because of its simlpicity and also because I have full control over SQL.

- What you like / dislike?

I like the fact that it's simple to use and that it supports generics, this
helps me a lot. I think a GUI tool for XML editiing would bring a great
improvement in production.

* About the documentation? (A book is on the rail :-)...)
> - Is it clear?

Yes.

- Which improvements do you want?

A very simple case study showing how to setup iBatis from scratch for
beginners, some kinf of tutorial, I missed that when I was beginning. The
available tutorial for .NET no the website is very poor and takes a lot for
granted.

* About yours projects using iBATIS.NET, your company?

We use iBatis in a school management system, my school is at
http://www.aridesa.com.br in Fortaleza, Brazil, it's one of the most
important schools in our state, CearĂ¡.

Anderson Fortaleza

Re: iBATIS.NET Survey

Posted by Zarar Siddiqi <za...@gmail.com>.
> * What operating system and .NET version are you using?

Windows Server 2003, 1.1

> * In what contexts are you currently using iBATIS.NET?
Multi-threaded web and windows applications.

> * What is your use?
Production

> * What do you think of the quality of these libraries?
I've encountered just one problem (pluggable session storage) that I
haven't overcome.  Overall, the libraries seem to be good.

> * Why have you selected iBATIS.NET?
I was already using IBatis for Java.  For a larger Java project, I'm
using Hibernate.  And next time for a large project, I will evaluate
NHibernate before going with IBatis.

But IBatis's simplicity is what makes it attractive.

> * What's your overall opinion of iBATIS?
It is a good product

> - What you like / dislike?
Bad:
- Getting log4net to log is a pain.
- Session storage should be pluggable.

I like the seperation of sql statements from code.

> - What could be improved?
- Annotation support would be awesome.
- Better log messages for mapping errors would be great.
- Don't know why I have to worry about providers.config

> - What problems do you encounter?
Log4Net, session storage

> * About the documentation? (A book is on the rail :-)...)
Please, please, please make the documentation available in HTML online

> * About yours projects using iBATIS.NET, your company?
The main project that uses IBatis is a Shipping application which does
a LOT of background processing via threads and has a bunch of Kron
jobs scheduled (hence all the session storage problems since its not
necessarily a web context).  A windows application that uses web
services exposed by the same web application is also in production.

RE: iBATIS.NET Survey

Posted by Dorin Manoli <Do...@dataireland.ie>.
* What operating system and .NET version are you using?
WinXP Pro SP2, .Net v1.1

* In what contexts are you currently using iBATIS.NET?
 Windows Applications
 Libraries

* What is your use?
Internal use

* What do you think of the quality of these libraries?
excellent

* Why have you selected iBATIS.NET?
 For his simplicity
 For his flexibility

* About the documentation? (A book is on the rail :-)...)
- Is it clear? Yes, but is limited to MS SQL and Oracle, poor coverage
for MySQL and PostgreeSQL

- More samples? Demo applications?
Yes!!! specially avoiding joins examples
Poor examples. Unit tests are more helpful than NPetshop example

* About yours projects using iBATIS.NET, your company?
Data management tool.

_________________
Gilles Bayon.
iBATIS Team

RE: iBATIS.NET Survey

Posted by Jason Finch <jf...@emergency.qld.gov.au>.

The iBATIS team wants to know your opinion / suggestion about
iBATIS.NET.
This will help us to see what is important for you and which
improvements can be made in future version.

Thanks for participation.

* What operating system and .NET version are you using?
Windows Xp/Windows 2003 .NET 2.0

* In what contexts are you currently using iBATIS.NET?
ASP.NET Web application, soon to investigate use with web services to
service front end Forms apps.

* What is your use?
In production.

* What do you think of the quality of these libraries?
Excellent, I use iBatis and Nhibernate depending on certain factors such
as database backend format.

* Why have you selected iBATIS.NET?
Reasonably easy to get started.  Good start on documentation, good user
forum.
Works well where Nhibernate doesn't seem to fit (Reporting for example,
and stored proc usage)

* What's your overall opinion of iBATIS?
It's a easy product to integrate into our applications.
I have tried various systems, datasets, MS Data Access Block,
Nhibernate, iBatis.  I'm definitely impressed with both Nhibernate and
iBatis over the Microsoft solutions.  I am keeping one eye open on ADO
vNext though, as it appears to be attempting to do certain things that
iBatis and nHibernate are doing.  Although in common MS fashion, they'll
probably fart it up.

- What could be improved?
Be nice if there were more bloggers giving out more articles of
patterns, tutorials, sample code.

- What problems do you encounter?
None sofar.

- What features are you most interested in?
The current feature set seems adequate for my needs.

* About the documentation? (A book is on the rail :-)...)
Go the book! I'll buy a copy.

- Is it clear?
I was first put off with the approach the documentation took on
test-first design.  I am not a test-first developer
But do try to be agile with my approach.  I just found it strange (from
the norm) of presenting a tutorial this way.
It may be off-putting to a certain group of people who have never been
exposed to writing tests first.
Some people just like a more common explanation or build up style
example.

- Which improvements do you want?
- More samples? Demo applications?
Always love more samples, & more demos.  I'd love something which I
found very useful with Nhibernate, a best practices style article.
Eg
http://www.codeproject.com/aspnet/NHibernateBestPractices.asp?df=100&for
umid=278860&mpp=50&fr=51
This article from Billy McCafferty was a real good heads up, something
similar to iBatis would be immensely useful. Sort of a patterns and
practise for the product.

Thanks for such a great product!. And I must get my act together and
paypal or get something off your Amazon list.

This correspondence is for the named persons only.
It may contain confidential or privileged information or both.
No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any mis transmission.
If you receive this correspondence in error please delete it from your system immediately and notify the sender.
You must not disclose, copy or relay on any part of this correspondence, if you are not the intended recipient.
Any opinions expressed in this message are those of the individual sender except where the sender expressly,
and with the authority, states them to be the opinions of the Department of Emergency Services, Queensland.

RE: iBATIS.NET Survey

Posted by Phil Kulak <ph...@lipa.net>.
* What operating system and .NET version are you using?
WinXP workstation, Win2003 server / .Net 2.0

* In what contexts are you currently using iBATIS.NET?
- Web Applications

* What is your use?
- Production

* What do you think of the quality of these libraries?
- Excellent

* Why have you selected iBATIS.NET?
- For his simplicity
- For his flexibility
- I really don't like Hibernate (give me ActiveRecord any day :D) or
working with bare ADO.

* What's your overall opinion of iBATIS?
- I've been very impressed with it, especially the new .Net2.0 version.
I wrote my own collection wrappers around the old version, and now the
new methods seem to mirror my wrappers! Pretty easy to get used to. :D

* About the documentation? (A book is on the rail :-)...)
- I usually just scan documentation for examples, and the ones for this
project are very thorough and useful.

* About yours projects using iBATIS.NET, your company?
- I work for a health insurance company and we are working on putting as
much functionality on the web as we can.

Thanks for the great project!

_________________
Gilles Bayon.
iBATIS Team

                                                       Confidentiality
The documents accompanying this email contain information belonging to Lane Individual Practice Association.
This information is confidential and/or legally privileged.  The information is intended only for the use of the individual or entity names above.
If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this telecopied information is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this document in error, please immediately notify us by telephone (541) 485-2155 and destroy any documents received.

RE: iBATIS.NET Survey

Posted by "Chtelmakh, Oleg" <Ol...@53.com>.

The iBATIS team wants to know your opinion / suggestion about
iBATIS.NET.
This will help us to see what is important for you and which
improvements can be made in future version.

Thanks for participation.

* What operating system and .NET version are you using?
XP, 2000, .NET 1.0

* In what contexts are you currently using iBATIS.NET?
- Web Applications

* What is your use?
- Evaluation for a new application
- Testing

* What do you think of the quality of these libraries?
 Very Good

* Why have you selected iBATIS.NET?
- For his simplicity
- For his flexibility
- Stored Procedures Support

* What's your overall opinion of iBATIS?
- What you like / dislike?
  Mapping generator
- What could be improved?
  Documentation, more elaborated examples
- What problems do you encounter?

- What features are you most interested in?
   Stored Procedures support

* About the documentation? (A book is on the rail :-)...)

  List of Error Messages
  More elaborated samples

* About yours projects using iBATIS.NET, your company?
  Bankning ASP .NET App with DB2 and MS SQL 2000

Gilles Bayon.
iBATIS Team

This e-mail transmission contains information that is confidential and may be privileged.   It is intended only for the addressee(s) named above. If you receive this e-mail in error, please do not read, copy or disseminate it in any manner. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited. Please reply to the message immediately by informing the sender that the message was misdirected. After replying, please erase it from your computer system. Your assistance in correcting this error is appreciated.