Posted to users@buildr.apache.org by Magnus Rundberget <mr...@hotmail.com> on 2010/06/29 14:17:31 UTC

buildr 1.4.0 (without jruby) on cygwin

I'm stuck with cygwin at my organization....

I have tried to install buildr 1.4.0 (without jruby) on cygwin but so far no luck.
Any pointers would be appreciated !

1. Installed ruby package through cygwin setup
$ ruby -v
ruby 1.8.7 (2008-08-11 patchlevel 72) [i386-cygwin]

$ gem -v
1.3.7

$ echo $JAVA_HOME

c:/dev/JDK160

2. trying to install buildr
$ gem install buildr --version 1.4.0
ERROR:  Error installing buildr:

/usr/bin/ruby.exe extconf.rb
checking for jni.h... no
*** extconf.rb failed ***
necessary libraries and/or headers.  Check the mkmf.log file for more
details.  You may need configuration options.

Provided configuration options:
    --with-opt-dir
    --without-opt-dir
    --with-opt-include
    --without-opt-include=${opt-dir}/include
    --with-opt-lib
    --without-opt-lib=${opt-dir}/lib
    --with-make-prog
    --without-make-prog
    --srcdir=.
    --curdir
    --ruby=/usr/bin/ruby

Gem files will remain installed in /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rjb-1.2.5 for inspection.
Results logged to /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rjb-1.2.5/ext/gem_make.out

3. try install downloaded gem for buildr
gem install buildr-1.4.0-x86-mswin32.gem
ERROR:  Error installing buildr-1.4.0-x86-mswin32.gem:

/usr/bin/ruby.exe extconf.rb
checking for jni.h... no
*** extconf.rb failed ***
necessary libraries and/or headers.  Check the mkmf.log file for more
details.  You may need configuration options.

Provided configuration options:
    --with-opt-dir
    --without-opt-dir
    --with-opt-include
    --without-opt-include=${opt-dir}/include
    --with-opt-lib
    --without-opt-lib=${opt-dir}/lib
    --with-make-prog
    --without-make-prog
    --srcdir=.
    --curdir
    --ruby=/usr/bin/ruby

Gem files will remain installed in /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rjb-1.2.5 for inspection.
Results logged to /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rjb-1.2.5/ext/gem_make.out

cheers
Magnus

RE: buildr 1.4.0 (without jruby) on cygwin

Posted by Kevin Smith <Ke...@benetech.org>.
I have never seen Windows care about / vs \ in programatic paths (it
only cares at the command line). So you should be able to switch back
to / which might fix some of the latest problems.

However, the : vs. ; would still be a problem, and I have no suggestions
for that part.

Kevin

Posted by Magnus Rundberget <mr...@hotmail.com>.
FYI:

Posted by Antoine Toulme <an...@lunar-ocean.com>.

Posted by Magnus Rundberget <mr...@hotmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Magnus Rundberget <mr...@hotmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Kristof Jozsa <kr...@gmail.com>.
I managed to install it successfully at last without cygwin but using
the 1.8.6 mri ruby + the devkit package from rubyinstaller.org.

I also tried getting it up with JRuby but the box used was very slow
(a Celeron 1.7 with Windows2000(!)) and JRuby was unable to create
some directories upon installing the xml builder gem.. I've never seen
such a problem before. The same stuff installed clean on my WinXP
virtualbox image on my Arch linux without any problems.. eh,
nevermind.

Posted by Antoine Toulme <an...@lunar-ocean.com>.

Posted by Kristof Jozsa <kr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Magnus,

Posted by Alex Boisvert <al...@gmail.com>.
Hi Magnus,

You may want to try following these instructions:
http://www.artonx.org/collabo/backyard/?HowToBuildRjb

(Note how the JAVA_HOME path is encoded with /cygdrive/c/...)

alex