Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Blake Watson <ds...@pacbell.net> on 2004/06/07 00:29:59 UTC

Re: Basic JAMES questions

Hello, James Users List!

	I'm setting up James to handle my domain mail. (kingdomrpg.com) I'm
moving from someone else's server (HostSave) to my own, and the last
missing piece is mail-server.	I want to set it up and make sure it
works before transferring the domain, however.

	So, I have a couple of very basic questions. I've set up James, and I
think it works, but I realize I don't know how to address the server.
I know I should be able to send e-mail to user@[63.198.128.215] but I
don't know how to set up my e-mail client to address the POP and SMTP
servers. This seems to be "everybody knows" type of info since all the
help I've seen just says "Yeah, now that you've got it running you can
send your mail out through it."

	The simplest questions:

	1. Setting aside the domain question, now that I've set up James, how
do I address the incoming mail server. Would it be
mail.kingdomrpg.com?

	2. Would the outgoing be pop.kingdomrpg.com, pop3.kingdomrpg.com, or
smtp.kingdomrpg.com?

	3. Now considering the domain, would the incoming and outgoing be
addressed mail.[63.198.128.215]?

	4. James can "auto-detect" IPs and domains, I believe. Does that mean
James will be aware when [63.198.128.215] = kingdomrpg.com, or should
I manually enter this stuff?

	Thanks for your patience!

	===Blake===

Re: Basic JAMES questions

Posted by bbrewer <bb...@tregyr.com>.
Two questions for you:
1) Do you have a domain name server?
2) Are you running your mail server (James) on 63.198.128.215?

If the answer is yes to both -
/1. Setting aside the domain question, now that I've set up James, how
do I address the incoming mail server. Would it be
mail.kingdomrpg.com?
/You'll need to set this up in the zone record on your domain server.
Fot this you need at least the following three entries:
An "A" record (maps the ip to the domain name) on your zone for the
actual name of the mail server to its IP address.
An "CNAME" record mapping the actual name of the mail server to
mail.kingdomrpg.com.
Then you need an "MX" record to map declare the mail domain name as the
default mail handler for kingdomrpg.com

This is an example of a zone record for Bind using your info.

$ORIGIN kingdomprg.com
$TTL 86400
@     IN     SOA    [dns server name goes here].kingdomrpg.com.     hostmaster.kingdomrpg.com. (
                    2001062501 ; serial
                    21600      ; refresh after 6 hours
                    3600       ; retry after 1 hour
                    604800     ; expire after 1 week
                    86400 )    ; minimum TTL of 1 day

      IN     NS     [dns server name goes here] .kingdomrpg.com.

      IN     MX     10     mail.kingdomrpg.com.

             IN     A       63.198.128.215

[mail server name goes here]      IN     A       63.198.128.215
[dns server name goes here]       IN     A       63.198.128.215

mail         IN     CNAME   [mail server name goes here]

/2. Would the outgoing be pop.kingdomrpg.com, pop3.kingdomrpg.com, or
smtp.kingdomrpg.com?/
With the above completed, you now use mail.kingdomrpg.com for both the pop and smtp entries in your mail client.

/3. Now considering the domain, would the incoming and outgoing be
addressed mail.[63.198.128.215]?
/No.  If you set up an account for "tester" on the James server, you should be able to use "tester@kingdomrpg.com".
That's what the "MX" record is for - to have "mail.kingdomrpg.com" to handle all mail for "kingdomrpg.com".  The "CNAME" then
maps "mail.kingdomrpg.com" to whatever actual server you have James deployed on - ie, "someserver.kingdomrpg.com".  The "A" record maps the servername to the IP address - ie, "someserver.kingdomrpg.com" = /63.198.128.215/

/4. James can "auto-detect" IPs and domains, I believe. Does that mean
James will be aware when [63.198.128.215] = kingdomrpg.com, or should
I manually enter this stuff?
/You probably want to manually enter this in case you want to run multiple domains...

Good Luck!

If you need help, feel free to contact me (off the forum) at bbrewer@tregyr.com.

Brian Brewer

RE: Basic JAMES questions

Posted by Blake Watson <ds...@pacbell.net>.
> Hope that clears it up a bit for you.

Actually, yes, it helps a lot. I set up a client to send e-mail out
through just the IP, and that works. But I'm not receiving any, no
matter what I do. So I can pursue the docs for this and not worry that
I've got the addressing wrong.

On the DNS issue, is there a place where a guy, "a regular joe like
myself", should go to let the world (i.e., the world's DNS servers)
know that the IP for his domain has changed? I assume my current hosts
will do this but this has always baffled me.

I could run my own DNS as well, but it seems like overkill.

RE: Basic JAMES questions

Posted by Daniel Perry <d....@netcase.co.uk>.
As it stands, your mail server is on whatever domain you pointed to:
63.198.128.215.

The issues you ask except no 4 are all domain name related, and nothing to
do with james.  James is on that IP address.  Any domain names you point to
that IP address can be used to access james.

As for number 4 you want to set james in the config to accept mail for the
kingdomrpg.com it's the domain list section.

You can access pop and smtp at : 63.198.128.215  (no name as you need to do
that with your domain name)

If you want to use pop/smtp/mail/etc .kingdomrpg.com for the server, you
need to set up an "A" name record with your nameserver, pointing
mail.kingdomrpg.com to 63.198.128.215.  Same for smtp/pop.  Of course there
is no need to do this... you just use 63.198.128.215 as the smtp server/pop
server address in your client. Or you can

One thing you MUST do to accept mail for your real domain is to set up an MX
record.  Set the MX record with your dns to e.g. mail.kingdomrpg.com then an
A record for mail.kingdomrpg.com to 63.198.128.215.

Hope that clears it up a bit for you.

Daniel.