Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Al Lelopath <jd...@gmail.com> on 2007/12/02 18:35:23 UTC

Re: [math] Estimator capabilities

Anent tangent and quadratic estimates:

Specifies the approach used to obtain initial estimates of the basic
variables in each one-dimensional search.

Tangent Uses linear extrapolation from a tangent vector.

Quadratic Uses quadratic extrapolation, which can improve the results
on highly nonlinear problems. (Excel does this).

Please let me know if this explanation is still insufficient.

Posted by Luc Maisonobe <Lu...@free.fr>.
Al Lelopath wrote:
> Anent tangent and quadratic estimates:
>
> Specifies the approach used to obtain initial estimates of the basic
> variables in each one-dimensional search.
>
> Tangent Uses linear extrapolation from a tangent vector.
>
> Quadratic Uses quadratic extrapolation, which can improve the results
> on highly nonlinear problems. (Excel does this).

The methods implemented here are really popular and widely known
methods. They do use linear models based on tangents (gradients) or
quadratic models based on curvature (approximated Hessian). However,
during the one-dimensional search they also re-evaluate the real
function several times as needed, they do not simply rely on the linear
or quadratic estimates, which would be very bad for ill-conditioned
problems.

> Please let me know if this explanation is still insufficient.

I'm still not sure I understand, sorry.

If this can help you understand what is provided, we implemented widely
known existing methods: the basic Gauss-Newton method and the much more
elaborate Levenberg-Marquardt method. We did not develop some custom
made method based on very basic features such as tangents or curvature.

Does your mathematician want some other method like for example
conjugate gradient ? If so, this could really be added easily. Does he
want something else ?

Luc