Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Brad Nicholes <BN...@novell.com> on 2001/11/14 18:05:25 UTC

Accessibility of the ap_listeners list...

The latest entry in the change log suggests that modules are allowed to add sockets to the ap_listeners list.  Does this refer to only MPM modules or can any module add a socket?  If any module can add a socket to the ap_listeners list then shouldn't the global variable "ap_listeners" in ap_listen.h be declared in such a way so that it will be included in the exports lists that are generated by the AWK scripts?  The NetWare platform has built into its Winsock layer the ability to create secure sockets.  So rather than going to all of the work of implementing MOD_SSL on NetWare, we have a module called MOD_NW_SSL (aka MOD_TLS on 1.3.x) that simply tells our Winsock layer to create a secure socket in response to the SecureListen <port> <Cert> directive.  This requires that our MOD_NW_SSL have the ability to add a socket to the ap_listeners list.  It sounds like doing so is not a problem except for the fact that the global variable "ap_listeners" has not been exported.  Is there some other way to manipulate this list?

Brad

Re: Accessibility of the ap_listeners list...

Posted by Ryan Bloom <rb...@covalent.net>.
On Wednesday 14 November 2001 09:05 am, Brad Nicholes wrote:
> The latest entry in the change log suggests that modules are allowed to add
> sockets to the ap_listeners list.  Does this refer to only MPM modules or
> can any module add a socket?  If any module can add a socket to the
> ap_listeners list then shouldn't the global variable "ap_listeners" in
> ap_listen.h be declared in such a way so that it will be included in the
> exports lists that are generated by the AWK scripts?  The NetWare platform
> has built into its Winsock layer the ability to create secure sockets.  So
> rather than going to all of the work of implementing MOD_SSL on NetWare, we
> have a module called MOD_NW_SSL (aka MOD_TLS on 1.3.x) that simply tells
> our Winsock layer to create a secure socket in response to the SecureListen
> <port> <Cert> directive.  This requires that our MOD_NW_SSL have the
> ability to add a socket to the ap_listeners list.  It sounds like doing so
> is not a problem except for the fact that the global variable
> "ap_listeners" has not been exported.  Is there some other way to
> manipulate this list?

Any module should be able to do it.  I thought that variable was exposed,
because it is on Unix.  If you need more done to get access to  that variable,
then do it.

Ryan

Ryan Bloom				rbb@apache.org