Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Warner Onstine <sw...@warneronstine.com> on 2002/10/25 01:14:15 UTC

mavenize tomcat

Hi all,
Let me just explain a few things first:
1) I stopped checking out Tomcat from CVS the minute I had to download or
check out in concert with (the servlet-api) more than five files and had to
setup so many properties that the build refused to run. The time commitment
was not worth it to me, so I just started downloading the releases
2) I am an active Maven user - I have three projects using Maven. They
aren't as complex as Tomcat, but do do some interesting things for Webapps

I would like Tomcat to become easy to build again, when someone decided it
was no longer a wise idea to keep the jars in CVS they should have had a
reasonable replacement, they didn't and its been painful ever since. I would
also like Tomcat to become easy to add documentation to without worrying
whether or not something that should have been there (the javadocs for
example) was actually there without question.

So, If I can get significant developer buy-in I would be willing to cut a
version or two of the maven project descriptor for those of us who would
like it to be easy again ;-). If not, that's fine.

-warner

+warner onstine+

Re: mavenize tomcat

Posted by Steve Downey <st...@netfolio.com>.
On Thursday 24 October 2002 08:15 pm, Warner Onstine wrote:
> [...]
No it doesn't do that at all. It downloads the actual distributions, or CVS
trees, of projects into an area specified. No external repository of jars or
internal depot of jars. You get real distributions of the dependencies,
including docs and licenses.

Re: mavenize tomcat

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.
> > > So, If I can get significant developer buy-in I would be willing to
cut
> > > version or two of the maven project descriptor for those of us who
would
> > > like it to be easy again ;-). If not, that's fine.
> >
> > As long as you don't change build.xml or the gump descriptors - I'm
> > ok.
>
> With the new Maven, it isn't necessary, it now only uses Ant under the
> covers with Jelly and Werkz tags doing the work with the POM (Project
Object
> Model).

So far the people that have replied (including me) think that it is Ok to
Mavenize Tomcat as long as it doesn't force anyone to use Maven.  I,
personally, didn't find it very challenging to download the 4.1.13 source
distribution (to a machine behind a firewall), and configure it to build
including the optional libraries.  I really *don't* want to be forced to
download nMB of code to do what I can do with a couple of minutes with
emacs.

> > FYI, tomcat5 does have a 'download' target that gets you all the
> > jars, and an 'update' that gets you all the cvs repositories that
> > you need. That's what I use, and it's not that bad ( even if slow )
>
> Interesting, sounds like it is duplicating what Maven can do as it stores
> all the jars in a common repository.

IMHO, it is better.  The 'download' target gets the jars from the project
release itself.  If you don't like one version, you can change your
build.properties to download another version.  On this count, Maven sounds
little better than jars-in-cvs (which we all know is A Very Bad Thing &copy;
Gump :).

Re: mavenize tomcat

Posted by Warner Onstine <sw...@warneronstine.com>.

Re: mavenize tomcat