Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by John Morrison <jo...@experian.com> on 1999/10/19 11:11:28 UTC

Re: symlinks in webapps under jakarta? -Reply

Windows (NT) _can_ be case sensitive - I'm not sure about 9x.  If you
have access to the MSDN have a look at:

mk:@MSITStore:G:\Program%20Files\Microsoft%20Visual%20Studio\MSDN\99JUL\1033\fileio.chm::/devdoc/live/winbase/filesio_7wmd.htm

(or search for CreateFile)

Have a look at the flags for dwFlagsAndAttributes, in particular...

FILE_FLAG_POSIX_SEMANTICS

Indicates that the file is to be accesses according to POSIX rules.  This
includes allowing multiple files with names, differing only in case, for file
systems that support such naming.  Use care when using this option
because files created with this flag may not be accessable by
applications written for MS-DOS or 16-bit windows.

So windows _can_ have case sensitive files, just that most people don't
bother using a sufficiently low level API.

I don't know what the JVM's use though - I would imagine fopen as this
is the most portable in terms of source if not functionality.

John Morrison.

PS - I have to support windows - that doesn't mean I have to like it!