Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Dave Makower <da...@mac.com> on 2002/03/05 18:32:05 UTC

mod_webapp + mos_ssl: Win32 discrepancy (should I use mod_jk instead?)

I've managed to get mod_webapp and mod_ssl working together on both Solaris
2.6 and Mac OS X, without much trouble.

However, I'm finding a discrepancy when I deploy the same app on Windows.
On Solaris and Mac OS X, HTTPS requests arriving at the Apache server that
are forwarded to Tomcat via the Warp protocol maintain the "https" scheme.
So if you say getScheme() to the HttpServletRequest, it returns "https".
But on Win32, getScheme() returns "http", even for those requests that come
to Apache over SSL.  I have tried creating two Warp connectors, and setting
the "scheme" and "secure" attributes on the Connector element in server.xml,
but that didn't change anything.  The end result is that my application,
which programmatically redirects the browser to https if it detects an http
connection for certain functionality, gets caught in an endless redirect
loop.

Any suggestions as to how to fix or work around this problem?

I'd try to recompile mod_webapp myself, but I'm not sure what tools I need
to compile it for the Windows platform.

I'm using Tomcat and mod_webapp versions 4.0.1, with Apache 1.3.23, mod_ssl
2.8.6, and OpenSSL 0.9.6c.

A related question (probably a FAQ, but I didn't find it addressed
anywhere): what is the relationship between mod_webapp and mod_jk, and is
there any reason to use mod_jk instead of mod_webapp, or vice versa?