Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Justin Sanders <ju...@justinjas.com> on 2010/09/29 23:15:07 UTC

Marking each node down before rolling restart

I looked through the documentation but couldn't find anything.  I was
wondering if there is a way to manually mark a node "down" in the cluster
instead of killing the cassandra process and letting the other nodes figure
out the node is no longer up.

The reason I ask is because we are having an issue when we perform rolling
restarts on the cluster.  Basically read requests that come in on other
nodes will block while they are waiting on the node that was just killed to
be marked down.  Before they realize the node is offline they will throw a
TimedOutException.

If I could mark the node being down ahead of time this timeout period could
be avoided.  Any help is appreciated.

Justin

Re: Marking each node down before rolling restart

Posted by Aaron Morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>.
I just ran nodetool drain in a 3 node cluster that was not serving any requests, the other nodes picked up the change in about 10 seconds.

On the node I drained
 INFO [RMI TCP Connection(39)-192.168.34.31] 2010-09-30 15:18:03,281 StorageService.java (line 474) Starting drain process
 INFO [RMI TCP Connection(39)-192.168.34.31] 2010-09-30 15:18:03,282 MessagingService.java (line 348) Shutting down MessageService...
 INFO [ACCEPT-sorb/192.168.34.31] 2010-09-30 15:18:03,289 MessagingService.java (line 529) MessagingService shutting down server thread.
 INFO [RMI TCP Connection(39)-192.168.34.31] 2010-09-30 15:18:03,290 MessagingService.java (line 365) Shutdown complete (no further commands will be processed)
 INFO [RMI TCP Connection(39)-192.168.34.31] 2010-09-30 15:18:03,339 StorageService.java (line 474) Node is drained

One  of the others
 INFO [Timer-0] 2010-09-30 15:18:12,753 Gossiper.java (line 196) InetAddress /192.168.34.31 is now dead.
DEBUG [Timer-0] 2010-09-30 15:18:12,753 MessagingService.java (line 134) Resetting pool for /192.168.34.31

Either way, I would say it's safer to drain the node first. As it writes out the SSTables and drains the log, so after the reboot the server will not need to play forward the log. This may be a good thing in the event of an issue with the upgrade.

My guess is:
- drain the node
- other nodes can still read from it, it will actively reject writes (because the Messaging Service is down). So no timeouts.
- wait until the down state of the node is propagated around the cluster, then shut it down.

I may be able to test out the theory under a light load later today or tomorrow. Anyone else have any thoughts?

Aaron

On 30 Sep, 2010,at 02:54 PM, Justin Sanders <ju...@bronto.com> wrote:

It seems to be about 15 seconds after killing a node before the other nodes report it being down.

We are running a 9 node cluster with RF=3, all reads and writes at quorum.  I was making the same assumption you are, that an operation would complete fine at quorum with only one node down since the other two nodes would be able to respond.

Justin

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 5:58 PM, Aaron Morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com> wrote:
Ah, that was not exactly what you were after. I do not know how long it takes gossip / failure detector to detect a down node.

In your case what is the CF you're using for reads and what is your RF? The hope would be that taking one node down at a time would leave enough server running to serve the request. AFAIK the coordinator will make a read request to the first node responsible for the row, and only ask for a digest  from the others. So there may be a case where it has to timeout reading from the first node before asking for the full data from the others.

A hack solution may be to reduce the rpc_timeout_in_ms

May need some adult supervision to answer this one.

Aaron

On 30 Sep, 2010,at 10:45 AM, Aaron Morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com> wrote:

Try nodetool drain

Flushes all memtables for a node and causes the node to stop accepting write operations. Read operations will continue to work. This is typically used before upgrading a node to a new version of Cassandra.
http://www.riptano.com/docs/0.6.5/utils/nodetool

Aaron

Posted by Justin Sanders <ju...@bronto.com>.