Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by "Lewis, Andrew J" <An...@jbosc.ksc.nasa.gov> on 2002/01/31 14:33:03 UTC

I finally found one....

	Cocoon is one the most awesome tools out there - my compliments to
everyone! Congratulations on the 2.0.1 release!

	I've been using it since 1.3, and now that I've really been able to
dive into 2.0, it is awesome to see the massive, grand vision and promise
Stefano and others put forth now running as a product. I love it! you all
make MY job SOO much easier...I hope to be able to arrange to contribute at
some point as well.

	However, I finally found a (minor) criticism of Cocoon 2 - error
reporting. I haven't hit one that I haven't gotten past, however most of the
time when I get the error page, it has so little meaningful informaiton, it
is the equivalent of telling me "Something went wrong somewhere, and it
probably had to do with XML"

	Maybe it is just me, but I would love it if the page instead said
perhaps, which pipeline compoenent threw the exception, and maybe even
proivded some SAX stream context for the point at which it died. Maybe this
is there and I just haven't flipped the right switch...but it would save me
a lot of time, and I am sure I am not alone.

	Thanks!

Re: I finally found one....

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ba...@nicolaken.com>.
From: "Lewis, Andrew J" <An...@jbosc.ksc.nasa.gov>

> However, I finally found a (minor) criticism of Cocoon 2 - error
> reporting. I haven't hit one that I haven't gotten past, however most of
the
> time when I get the error page, it has so little meaningful informaiton,
it
> is the equivalent of telling me "Something went wrong somewhere, and it
> probably had to do with XML"

You are completely right.
Some progress has been done in this release although not yet properly
documented (my fault :-/ ) to fix this thing.
A lot still needs to be done. For this I sent this mail to the users list:

<mail>
  <header>
Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
"Lewis, Andrew J" wrote:

>         Cocoon is one the most awesome tools out there - my compliments to
> everyone! Congratulations on the 2.0.1 release!
>
>         I've been using it since 1.3, and now that I've really been able to
> dive into 2.0, it is awesome to see the massive, grand vision and promise
> Stefano and others put forth now running as a product. I love it! you all
> make MY job SOO much easier...I hope to be able to arrange to contribute at
> some point as well.

Oh, I'm sure you will.

>         However, I finally found a (minor) criticism of Cocoon 2 - error
> reporting.

Minor? you are too kind. Cocoon error reporting is close to drive even
the most expert cocoon developer nuts (been there, done that), but on
the other side of things, you can't polish something until is finished.

Ok, cocoon will never be finished (will move to bleeding edge into
osbolescence directly... around 2130 :) but at least, we are reaching a
stable operation that allows us to do things like error reporting,
/WEB-INF friendlyness, performance tuning, memory footprint tuning,
documentation autogeneration and so on.

The trend is clear: there is lots of meet around the Cocoon 2.0 bone and
users will take time to digest it. During this time, we'll polish Cocoon
so that it will shine. My experience tells me that with the kind of
healthy community we have, this will just take a few months to happen.

> I haven't hit one that I haven't gotten past, however most of the
> time when I get the error page, it has so little meaningful informaiton, it
> is the equivalent of telling me "Something went wrong somewhere, and it
> probably had to do with XML"

Yes, same here. I think the TreeProcessor could give a hand here: the
compiled pages are normally a pain for error reporting.

>         Maybe it is just me, but I would love it if the page instead said
> perhaps, which pipeline compoenent threw the exception, and maybe even
> proivded some SAX stream context for the point at which it died. Maybe this
> is there and I just haven't flipped the right switch...but it would save me
> a lot of time, and I am sure I am not alone.

How about writing what you want, I'm sure people would love to see it.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.