Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Ma...@sybase.com on 2003/01/02 21:41:01 UTC

JAX-RPC Web Services in the Real World

With so many of you offering your own web services (many of which seem
quite elaborate I might add), I'm wondering practicality of making these
services available.  Are you simply making the WSDL available and leaving
it to the client to generate the client-side stubs or are you generating
the stubs for the client and making them available?  And how are you making
the WSDL or stubs available?  Are you using UDDI or some other means?

Also, I'm curious as to how many WS providers might be using Axis, but not
using JAX-RPC.  Is that even allowed or desirable?

Thanks for any and all feedback you can offer.

Marion

RE: JAX-RPC Web Services in the Real World

Posted by Anne Thomas Manes <an...@manes.net>.
You should be able to make your Web services available simply by publishing
the WSDL. Providing client stubs is much more problematic since you have to
provide a stub that can run on the client side (a Java stub generated by
Axis isn't much help to a VB client).

You can find quite a few demonstration services listed at www.xmethods.com.
Most people are building services for specific business applications,
though. These services often are not published to the world at large. They
are made available to a select audience. You might advertise them in a
private UDDI registry (so far UDDI is experiencing slow adoption). You might
advertise them using WSIL. You might advertise them on your Web site.
(Amazon and Google advertise theirs on their Web sites.)

I'm not quite sure what you mean about JAX-RPC. JAX-RPC is the high-level
API used in Axis. There's also a low level API if you'd prefer to manipulate
the SOAP envelope directly. I imagine that most people use JAX-RPC. But here
we're talking about the client API. It doesn't really apply to the way you
implement the service.

(perhaps you meant to ask about using RPC-style versus Document-style?)

Anne