Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Daniel Aleksandersen <al...@runbox.com> on 2007/12/08 12:48:04 UTC

Do I need Cocoon or FOP?

Hi list,

I am a little uncertain about whether I need Apache Cocoon or FOP. I am
not very familiar with these kind of tools, but I really want to learn. I
will explain what I want to create, and then I hope I will get some
pointers to get going.

I want to create an web archive of articles. The content will be static. I
have decided to store the articles in static XML files instead of using a
database. The main presentation form is an Atom feed; containing the ten
most recent articles. The feed should link to a URL (like Atom feeds most
often do) on the web where the article was originally published. I also
want to enclose the articles in PDF format (for long time preservation).
The second presentation form is a HTML page that links to the individual
PDFs, sorted by date.

I do not want to run an application on my server. Because the content will
not be update too often I think storing the files statically and
generating them on my local machine on demand should suffice.

What tool do I need; and where to get started?

Thanks in advance,
--
Daniel Aleksandersen <al...@runbox.com>

Re: Do I need Cocoon or FOP?

Posted by The Web Maestro <th...@gmail.com>.
IMO, if you just want to generate the web site once or infrequently
(i.e., offline), then Apache Forrest <http://forrest.apache.org/> may
fit the bill (Apache Forrest is based on Cocoon).

IMO, Apache Cocoon would be good if you want to have the web site
generated in real-time (on-the-fly so-to-speak) although it could also
be used to generate it off-line.

It 'sounds like' you want to generate off-line, so Apache Forrest may
be a better choice. Either way, PDF files may be created using Apache
FOP (I believe binaries are included with both project releases, to
make it easier).

Good luck!

Web Maestro Clay

On Dec 10, 2007 5:00 AM, MichaelNie <xm...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Daniel Aleksandersen-9 wrote:
> >
> > You misunderstood me. I want to use Cocoon/FOP on my own machine and then
> > upload the output to my server. But I am unsure how to do this. Or, as I
> > wrote earlier: I am unsure where to begin.
> >

> You really need to specify what your "application" should do. only convert
> xml to pdf or also generating the webpages?
> If you only need to deploy pdfs to a static file system all you'd need to do
> is to call apache-fop from a local application.
> Cocoon let's you generate the whole website but will run on the server and
> add many many hours of learning to your project ;-)
>
> best regards
> Michael

The Web Maestro
--
<th...@gmail.com> - <http://homepage.mac.com/webmaestro/>
- HH The 14th Dalai Lama of Tibet

Re: Do I need Cocoon or FOP?

Posted by MichaelNie <xm...@yahoo.com>.

Re: Do I need Cocoon or FOP?

Posted by Daniel Aleksandersen <al...@runbox.com>.
On 2007-12-08 14:13, Roberto Nunnari wrote:
> Hi.
>
> see my comments below.
>
> Daniel Aleksandersen wrote:
> > Hi list,
> >
> > I am a little uncertain about whether I need Apache Cocoon or FOP. I
> > am
>
> If you just want to generate pdf, then FOP is enough.
>
> > not very familiar with these kind of tools, but I really want to
> > learn. I will explain what I want to create, and then I hope I will
> > get some pointers to get going.
> >
> > I want to create an web archive of articles. The content will be
> > static. I have decided to store the articles in static XML files
> > instead of using a database. The main presentation form is an Atom
> > feed; containing the ten most recent articles. The feed should link
> > to a URL (like Atom feeds most often do) on the web where the article
> > was originally published. I also want to enclose the articles in PDF
> > format (for long time preservation). The second presentation form is
> > a HTML page that links to the individual PDFs, sorted by date.
>
> This looks like a good job for cocoon.. witch may use FOP for
> generating the pdfs on the fly..

I thought so.

--
Daniel Aleksandersen <al...@runbox.com>