Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Stephen Caine <st...@commongrnd.com> on 2008/04/29 00:30:12 UTC

URL Import Question

All,

This question may not belong here, so let me apologize in advance if
this is posted inappropriately.

We are using a c:import url tag.  Under most circumstances this works
just fine, but when it is iterated hundreds of times within the same
page, it causes the java process to quickly exhaust threads.  This is
on a 64 bit machine with a 2 gig heap size.  The number of thread
quickly rise to over 2000.

My question is whether this is a java bug, Tomcat bug or just a
limitation everyone knows about.

The source as well as the page being imported are complex and fairly
large.

Thank you,

Stephen Caine
Soft Breeze Systems, LLC

Re: URL Import Question

Posted by Ken Bowen <kb...@als.com>.
Don't let it go.  Just use the top mail link at the bottom of every
message.

Re: URL Import Question

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
Stephen Caine wrote:
> Mark,
>>
>> The correct procedure is to create a new message with a new subject.
>> This will start a new thread.
>
> Actually, this is what I thought I did.  My sincere apologies.  Would it
> be better for me to start a new thread or should I just let this go?

The headers never lie ;)

I'd start a new thread.

Mark

Re: URL Import Question

Posted by Stephen Caine <st...@commongrnd.com>.
Mark,

Re: URL Import Question

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
Stephen Caine wrote:
> All,
>
> This question may not belong here, so let me apologize in advance if
> this is posted inappropriately.

When starting a new thread (ie sending a message to the list about a
new topic) please do not reply to an existing message and change the
subject line. This is known as thread hijacking and to many of the
list archiving services and mail clients used by list subscribers this
makes your new message appear as part of the old thread. This makes it
harder for other users to find relevant information when searching the
lists.

It should also be noted that many list subscribers automatically
ignore any messages that hijack another thread.

The correct procedure is to create a new message with a new subject.
This will start a new thread.

Thanks,

Mark