Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by ct...@ncw-av.com on 2002/08/14 15:23:12 UTC

Stalled connections to server

Hi,
I am running Apache 1.3.26 on an Intel server with RH Linux 7.2, currently running on the LAN only.  We are accessing it with two Windows 2000 clients, IE 6.0.  From time to time, one of the clients fails to get a response from the server while the other continues working fine; or, sometimes it happens to both clients at the same time, but in either case, the server itself is still accepting connections in general, just not from whichever client it sees fit to ignore.

I ran netstat -ta and got the following:
--snip--
tcp        0      0 external.ncw-av.co:http *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 external.ncw-av.co:http paulg.ncw-av.com:1170   SYN_RECV
tcp        0      0 external.ncw-av.co:http paulg.ncw-av.com:1168   SYN_RECV
tcp        0      0 external.ncw-av.co:http paulg.ncw-av.com:1166   SYN_RECV
tcp        0      0 external.ncw-av.co:http paulg.ncw-av.com:1164   SYN_RECV
tcp        0      0 external.ncw-av.co:http paulg.ncw-av.com:1169   SYN_RECV
tcp        0      0 external.ncw-av.co:http paulg.ncw-av.com:1163   SYN_RECV
tcp        0      0 external.ncw-av.co:http paulg.ncw-av.com:1167   SYN_RECV
tcp        0      0 external.ncw-av.co:http paulg.ncw-av.com:1165   SYN_RECV
--snip--
So apache (or maybe just the OS?) received the SYN part of the tcp handshake and never felt compelled to respond with ACK.  The little globe in IE keeps spinning forever.  These SYN_RECV entries disappear after TimeOut (which was 300) has elapsed, but Apache continues the same behavior with whichever client it no longer approves of until it is restarted.

This server is allegedly going into production on Friday!  Any help would be much appreciated!
Thanks,
Colin Teubner