Posted to users@netbeans.apache.org by Mark Koch <ma...@maehem.com> on 2022/12/09 21:24:43 UTC

Stack Trace hyperlinks no longer working in NetBeans

Wondering if anyone else has this issue.

Whenever I have a stack trace,  the hyperlinks into the code won’t take me to that line of code in the editor. Nothing happens.   It seems like this has been this way since around NB11.   Since it’s still broken for me on every release, I’m wondering if it’s just something about my own setup.

Any ideas?

Mark

Product Version: Apache NetBeans IDE 16
Java: 15.0.1; OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM 15.0.1+9-18
Runtime: OpenJDK Runtime Environment 15.0.1+9-18
System: Mac OS X version 10.16 running on x86_64; UTF-8; en_US (nb)
User directory: /Users/mark/Library/Application Support/NetBeans/16
Cache directory: /Users/mark/Library/Caches/NetBeans/16

Re: Stack Trace hyperlinks no longer working in NetBeans

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 12 Dec 2022 at 12:29, John <jb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am running latest NetBeans IDE 15 with Java 19.0.1. I only installed this a couple of weeks ago in a completely new folder. I didn’t even keep my previous local settings, just reconfigured the few minor options once new version was up and running.

That combination is not supported.  The latest release is NetBeans 16,
which supports Java 19 (Gradle excepted currently!).  NetBeans 15
doesn't support Java 19, so check that's not the cause of your issue.

Unlike the original post, the stack trace line you're pointing to does
not have a module name (element prior to /).  It may not be related to
the same issue.

Best wishes,

Neil

RE: Stack Trace hyperlinks no longer working in NetBeans

Posted by John <jb...@gmail.com>.
My version of Netbeans exhibits the same behaviour. I haven’t cleared the
cache yet but I get the following displayed in the bottom status bar – Source
file not found for “SpellingBee” (see screenshot below).

I also notice that clicking on one of the linked lines causes the text in the
output window to scroll up a few lines which is what I originally thought
might be causing the issue (i.e.. the line I clicked on was then scrolled so
that the click may be registering against a different line).

Unfortunately, the status bar message isn’t very revealing as it doesn’t say
what the path is. The actual file (SpelllingBee.java in this case) exists (and
is open in NetBeans). This is a local Maven project, no reliance on any third
parties apart from the basic Java libraries.

I am running latest NetBeans IDE 15 with Java 19.0.1. I only installed this a
couple of weeks ago in a completely new folder. I didn’t even keep my previous
local settings, just reconfigured the few minor options once new version was
up and running.

Therefore, given the ‘Source file not found’ message as the clue...

Is there a configuration option in Netbeans IDE or one of its configuration
files, that tells it where to look for the compiler map files?

Or

Would it be possible to extend the “Source file not found... message to
include the path name where it is looking!

![](cid:image003.png@01D90E25.4B621C00)

I will clear the NetBeans Cache folder later, but thought I would leave it as
is for the moment in case there are any follow-up questions. This issue is
persistent, in that I can close NetBeans and re-enter and re-create the same
scenario just by forcing a bug in one of my source files.

John

Posted by Michael Bien <mb...@gmail.com>.
here is an attempt to fix a few things in that area:
https://github.com/apache/netbeans/pull/5091

links which lead to JDK code should now work, but there was also a bug
in the module name parsing code, which was probably the cause why it
didn't work in your case.

A dev-build is linked from the PR. Would be great if someone could test
if this improves the situation - there is probably more to do still.

best regards,
-mbien

Posted by Mark J Koch <ma...@maehem.com>.
Michael,

Yes.  I switched from Ant to Maven (and modules) about the time I remember this happening as well.

It sounds like  https://github.com/apache/netbeans/issues/4516 <https://github.com/apache/netbeans/issues/4516> is what I’m experiencing.   My code gets compiled and placed into my local maven cache and run from there.

Posted by Michael Bien <mb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark J Koch <ma...@maehem.com>.

Posted by Mark J Koch <ma...@maehem.com>.

Posted by "Tellis, Wyatt" <Wy...@ucsf.edu.INVALID>.

[cid:image001.png@01D90D44.39FAB850]

Re: Stack Trace hyperlinks no longer working in NetBeans

Posted by Sean Carrick <se...@pekinsoft.com>.
Mark,