Posted to dev@airavata.apache.org by Mayank Jaglan <mj...@umail.iu.edu> on 2017/05/05 14:00:57 UTC

[#Spring17-Airavata-Courses] : Setting up an automated production like local development environment (part-1)

Hello Dev,

I recently researched ways to build isolated and repeatable production like development environments on local machine.

For this I considered Classic VMs (i.e., OS level containers) which ensure isolated and repeatable environments. But these are resource and time consuming. So, I tried application level containers which happen to be faster and overall less maintenance. For this I used docker application containers and vagrant automation to provide the desired OS for docker container to run in isolation.

This work is posted on my blog - https://mjaglan.github.io/docs/dev-environment.html

And I am looking for some feedback in that what could be easier, better and faster ways to accomplish this. I am also assuming developers need to code/build/test every few minutes, already busy in implemented planned features for airavata, and won't be able to make much time investment in setting up automated local development environment system.

Best,
Mayank