Posted to user@flume.apache.org by Mingjie Lai <mj...@gmail.com> on 2011/08/19 01:20:59 UTC

Performance monitoring by Ganglia

Hi.

Has anyone used Ganglia to monitor flume?

I'd like to have a way to monitor performance data (e.g., throughput) of
our customized decorator. I saw there is Ganglia sink in the source
code, but don't think it's for flume itself.

Can anyone point me how to use ganglia to monitor flume metrics?

Thanks,
Mingjie

Re: Performance monitoring by Ganglia

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@vafer.org>.
> Torsten, Is there possibility you guys will share the python script? :)

We have a couple of things I would like to see contributed back.
Will try to get permission. Might take a couple of days or so.

cheers,
Torsten

Re: Performance monitoring by Ganglia

Posted by Shuang <sh...@open42.com>.
Torsten, Is there possibility you guys will share the python script? :)

Shuang

Posted by Eric Hauser <ew...@gmail.com>.
FWIW, there is a Ruby script in the ostrich repository for parsing
JSON stats and sending them to Ganglia that could be slightly modified
to work with Flume:

https://github.com/twitter/ostrich/blob/master/src/scripts/json_stats_fetcher.rb

Posted by Mingjie Lai <mj...@gmail.com>.
Jon.

Regarding metrics, hbase utilizes hadoop-metrics directly:

http://hbase.apache.org/metrics.html

However I'm not sure how difficult it is to port hadoop-metrics with
current flume reporting framework. Need to look into source code to
understand.

This blog lists all hbase metrics:
http://blog.kenweiner.com/2010/10/monitor-hbase-hadoop-with-ganglia-on.html

-mingjie