Posted to dev@myriad.apache.org by Darin Johnson <db...@gmail.com> on 2015/08/03 21:08:22 UTC

Issues 16 and Issue 12

Is anyone actively working these?  I'm interested in both of these and
should have some cycles to work on them.

One question I have on issue 12 is how the generalize Scheduling Policies
if we have autoscaling, fine grain scheduling, and fixed resources (with a
flexup/flexdown option).  Currently it seems as though FGS is embedded
pretty deeply.  Ideally though we could Have a SchedulerPolicy interface,
and users could specify the SchedulerPolicy via the Myriad config.

If I don't get a response, I'll probably start issue 16 as it's straight
forward and write something up on 12.

Darin

Re: Issues 16 and Issue 12

Posted by Swapnil Daingade <sw...@gmail.com>.
Hi  Darin,

Thank you for taking a look at the documents.
I was wondering if there were any parts that would be better explained with
more details
or if we overlooked any scenarios.

Regarding 1
If I understand correctly, we are already doing task reconciliation for NM
Tasks as mentioned here
http://mesos.apache.org/documentation/latest/reconciliation/
in code here
https://github.com/mesos/myriad/blob/phase1/myriad-scheduler/src/main/java/com/ebay/myriad/scheduler/ReconcileService.java#L34
In case of FGS, we are planning to move the lifecycle management of the
container Tasks to the executor.
(NM + executor merge or rpc between NM and executor, whichever we end up
going with)
We are not storing container Tasks in the state store. Do you see any
additional work required for reconciliation ?
If we decide to support work preserving NM restart, we might have to do
some work to start the NM on same node on which it ran earlier.

Regarding 2
The only RMStateStore api that we override in MyriadFileSystemRMStateStore
is
RMState loadState()
which I believe should not change or is trivial to fix if changed. What I
like about the RMStateStore is that
you can plugin a new implementation simple by modifying a property in
yarn-site.xml. Rest yarn
will take care of loading the state store before it starts other services.

Regarding 3
I think we should have the flexibility to plugin multiple implementations
of storing Myriad state (including one that uses Mesos State API).
Let me look through the PR to see if any of the code makes assumptions
about using RMStateStore (An yarn specific interface).
If so, I'll change them to MyriadStateStore (this is a generic interface I
introduced that every Myriad State store implementation could implement).

Regards
Swapnil

Re: Issues 16 and Issue 12

Posted by Darin Johnson <db...@gmail.com>.