Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by plasma <pl...@pchome.com.tw> on 2004/01/25 02:39:05 UTC

Showing full pathname of repo

Hi all,

I just ran into this command:

plasma@plasmanb:~> svn log -r 9900 -v http://svn.elixus.org/repos/
subversion/libsvn_ra_dav/util.c:661: (apr_err=160006)
svn: PROPFIND request failed on '/repos/!svn/vcc/default'
subversion/libsvn_ra_dav/util.c:359: (apr_err=160006)
svn:
reference to non-existent revision '9900' in filesystem '/home/svnrepos/repos/db'

And I noticed the full pathname of repository is shown.  Is this a
good idea to reveal the full pathname of repository?

plasma

 ���k���k���}�K�O�ݹq�v
 http://edm-prg.epaper.com.tw/click.php?ad_code=57497

Re: Showing full pathname of repo

Posted by Ben Reser <be...@reser.org>.
On Sun, Jan 25, 2004 at 10:39:05AM +0800, plasma wrote:
> I just ran into this command:
>
> plasma@plasmanb:~> svn log -r 9900 -v http://svn.elixus.org/repos/
> subversion/libsvn_ra_dav/util.c:661: (apr_err=160006)
> svn: PROPFIND request failed on '/repos/!svn/vcc/default'
> subversion/libsvn_ra_dav/util.c:359: (apr_err=160006)
> svn:
> reference to non-existent revision '9900' in filesystem '/home/svnrepos/repos/db'
>
> And I noticed the full pathname of repository is shown.  Is this a
> good idea to reveal the full pathname of repository?

Probably not a great idea no.

--
Ben Reser <be...@reser.org>
http://ben.reser.org

"Conscience is the inner voice which warns us somebody may be looking."
- H.L. Mencken

Re: Showing full pathname of repo

Posted by Mark Benedetto King <mb...@lowlatency.com>.
On Mon, Jan 26, 2004 at 02:31:08AM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 25, 2004 at 10:26:30AM -0500, Mark Benedetto King wrote:
> > On Sun, Jan 25, 2004 at 04:11:10AM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
> > > Surely, if it matters that an attacker knows the path, you've already
> > > lost anyway? I've found the information useful for diagnosing problems
> > > in the past and don't see how it's a vulnerability.
> >
> > Path disclosure is information leakage.  There have been vulnerabilities
> > in other software components (Tomcat, for example) that allow you to obtain
> > the full contents of a file if you know its absolute path.
>
> I don't buy that, because I think most attackers would go for more
> interesting system files before they started trying to look for a
> Subversion repository, and the contents of those files may well make it
> irrelevant that you've suppressed useful information in Subversion's
> error messages. For example, on a system with GNU findutils installed I
> can grab /var/cache/locate/locatedb and voil?, I have my list of
> filenames. Like I said above, if it makes a difference that the attacker
> knows the path to your repository then you've already lost the battle by
> allowing them to access arbitrary files, and erecting gauzy barriers of
> obscurity at that point does little practical good.

I agree that Path Disclosure Vulnerabilities are not in-and-of-themselves
as severe as many other types.  However, such vulnerabilities are
frequently reported, and are usually followed with a patch that
fixes the problem.  Apache 2.0.39 had one, and they had to release
2.0.40 to fix it.

If this is not fixed, then it is only a matter of time before a similar
vulnerability announcement for Subversion hits BugTraq.  That inevitable
announcement will color the public's perception of Subversion's quality.
And then we'll probably want to fix the problem.  Why wait?

> In other words, I don't believe that this is important information
> leakage. To me the debugging usefulness far exceeds the theoretical -
> and, I feel, distinctly dubious - decrease in security.

When we plugged the other hole, we sent the full text of the error message
to Apache's logs; that minimized the loss of debugging usefulness.

--ben

Re: Showing full pathname of repo

Posted by Colin Watson <cj...@flatline.org.uk>.
On Sun, Jan 25, 2004 at 10:26:30AM -0500, Mark Benedetto King wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 25, 2004 at 04:11:10AM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
> > Surely, if it matters that an attacker knows the path, you've already
> > lost anyway? I've found the information useful for diagnosing problems
> > in the past and don't see how it's a vulnerability.
>
> Path disclosure is information leakage.  There have been vulnerabilities
> in other software components (Tomcat, for example) that allow you to obtain
> the full contents of a file if you know its absolute path.

I don't buy that, because I think most attackers would go for more
interesting system files before they started trying to look for a
Subversion repository, and the contents of those files may well make it
irrelevant that you've suppressed useful information in Subversion's
error messages. For example, on a system with GNU findutils installed I
can grab /var/cache/locate/locatedb and voilà, I have my list of

Posted by Mark Benedetto King <mb...@lowlatency.com>.

Posted by Colin Watson <cj...@flatline.org.uk>.

Posted by Mark Benedetto King <mb...@lowlatency.com>.
On Sat, Jan 24, 2004 at 09:00:42PM -0600, kfogel@collab.net wrote:
> Huh -- I could have sworn we had an issue on this, but now I can't
> find it.  Plasma, can you file one?  If you don't have time, no
> problem, just let us know so someone else can file it.  Thanks!
>
> -Karl
>
> plasma <pl...@pchome.com.tw> writes:
> > I just ran into this command:
> >
> > plasma@plasmanb:~> svn log -r 9900 -v http://svn.elixus.org/repos/
> > subversion/libsvn_ra_dav/util.c:661: (apr_err=160006)
> > svn: PROPFIND request failed on '/repos/!svn/vcc/default'
> > subversion/libsvn_ra_dav/util.c:359: (apr_err=160006)
> > svn:
> > reference to non-existent revision '9900' in filesystem '/home/svnrepos/repos/db'
> >
> > And I noticed the full pathname of repository is shown.  Is this a
> > good idea to reveal the full pathname of repository?

There was an issue, issue #1051.  You even fixed it. :-)

I'll re-open the issue with this reproduction recipe.

--ben

Re: Showing full pathname of repo

Posted by plasma <pl...@pchome.com.tw>.
Since mbk has found the issue (#1051), I'm not going to open a new
one. :)

plasma

Posted by kf...@collab.net.