Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by "Folkens, Brad" <bf...@downers.us> on 2004/04/13 17:01:45 UTC

SchedulerService in a clustered environment

Has anybody had success with the SchedulerService in a clustered
environment.

We currently are using resin as our webapp container and are considering a
move to a clustered / load balanced environment with 2 or more resin
servers.  Is the SchedulerService aware of synchronization across JVMs?

Bradford A. Folkens
bfolkens@vil.downers-grove.il.us <ma...@vil.downers-grove.il.us>

Re: SchedulerService in a clustered environment

Posted by "Jeffrey D. Brekke" <jb...@wi.rr.com>.
We took the simplest route possible, and run one of our two nodes with
the scheduler service active, and the other without it active.  This
works great when your scheduled services can use something like a
common database, file, or directory location.

A more robust solution would be really interesting, what did you have
in mind?

Posted by Brian Lawler <br...@tribenetwork.com>.
Brad-

We use the SchedulerService at tribe.net, but to my knowledge it is
most definitely not cluster aware.  We actually have to go through the
trouble of deploying a single instance of the app that does the
scheduled work.  Very suboptimal.

One thing that we have actually talked about doing here is actually
using cron for the scheduling and coding some very limited access
actions that do the real work.  This has a number of advantages:

1) Ops people (UNIX ones anyway) know cron backwards and forwards, and
it is very good at doing what it does.
2) Cron has a good reporting mechanism built in - send stdout to an
email address.
3) The cron script may be as easy as a shell script that invokes a wget
or curl on the url of the scheduled task that sits inside your turbine
application.  The result of calling that URL could be a plain text
report of how the job did.
4) Invoking turbine things through the HTTP interface has the lovely
side effect of providing you with a fully formed $data and $context
objects, so if you are doing something like sending out an automated
email you will have all of your normal tools available to pass into the
template that is the body of the email.
5) Bigger jobs can be broken into multiple small URL requests and your
load balancer will be able to decide which servers in your cluster
should do the work.

-B

Posted by Eric Pugh <ep...@upstate.com>.
http://xingu.sourceforge.net/   Check out the Quartz wrapper.