Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Bryan Shirley <bs...@modempoppe.com> on 1999/09/10 15:47:42 UTC

os-solaris/4995: Child Processes don't die, server eventually quits responding

>Number:         4995
>Category:       os-solaris
>Synopsis:       Child Processes don't die, server eventually quits responding
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
>Release:        1.3.4
>Environment:
Solaris 2.6 (Recommended/Security Patches)
uname -a > SunOS cc-web-01 5.6 Generic_105181-16 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-250)
gcc 2.8.1
httpd -v > Server version: Apache/1.3.4 (Unix)
           Server built:   Jul 14 1999 15:47:50
httpd -l > Compiled-in modules:
             http_core.c
             mod_env.c
             mod_log_config.c
             mod_mime.c
             mod_negotiation.c
             mod_status.c
             mod_include.c
             mod_autoindex.c
             mod_dir.c
             mod_cgi.c
             mod_asis.c
             mod_imap.c
             mod_actions.c
             mod_userdir.c
             mod_alias.c
             mod_access.c
             mod_auth.c
             mod_setenvif.c
             dynamo.c

As our server experiences traffic, it spawns childs up to its MaxClients value (currently 150).  As each child reaches its MaxRequestsPerChild (currently 1000), it should die off.
Currently, the children aren't dying.  Eventually the server is unable to spawn anymore children and the existing children are no longer accepting requests.
If we do a restart, the "dead" children die off and the server resumes as normal.

Following Sun's recommendation, we installed a tcp patch to help Solaris' ongoing CLOSE_WAIT problems.
Currently, we are not experiencing an abnormal level of CLOSE_WAIT or FIN_WAIT_2 events.

Seeing as how there are several entries regarding Solaris 2.6 and Apache 1.3.4, I wanted to open an new ticket
and work with the Apache team in providing the information they need to troubleshoot this problem.
>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:
Currently, we are using a cron job to do a work around.  I'm just trying to determine if this is indeed
a problem with Apache or with something else.
[to include <ap...@Apache.Org> in the Cc line and make sure the]