Posted to slide-user@jakarta.apache.org by Unico Hommes <Un...@hippo.nl> on 2001/12/05 17:28:21 UTC

WebDav move

Hi,

I am trying to move some resources via webdav. Usually it works very well
but once in a while there occurs an error as in the message sequence below.
It looks as if the 423 Locked response refers to the fact that the source
could not be removed, because afterwards both the source resource and the
destination resource are on the server, just as if a copy had been done. Yet
I never requested a lock for the source resource. Also, in the admin app if
I try to remove the locks, they are not removed. I have to wait for them to
timeout.So my question is where does this lock come from, and why does this
error occur. Do you think this could be a bug in the webdav servlet ?

sincerely,
Unico Hommes

Request message :

header :

Destination: xxx
content-type:text/xml

body :

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<A:propertybehavior xmlns:A="DAV:">
	<A:keepalive>*</A:keepalive>
</A:propertybehavior>

Response message :

header :

Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2001 15:48:47 GMT
Transfer-Encoding: chunked
Server: Apache Tomcat/4.0.1 (HTTP/1.1 Connector)

body :

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<d:multistatus xmlns:d="DAV:">
	<d:response>
		<d:href>/files/pages/home2/clients/page.xhp</d:href>
		<d:status>HTTP/1.1 423 Locked</d:status>
	</d:response>
</d:multistatus>

Re: WebDav move

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to move some resources via webdav. Usually it works very well
> but once in a while there occurs an error as in the message sequence
below.
> It looks as if the 423 Locked response refers to the fact that the source
> could not be removed, because afterwards both the source resource and the
> destination resource are on the server, just as if a copy had been done.
Yet
> I never requested a lock for the source resource. Also, in the admin app
if
> I try to remove the locks, they are not removed. I have to wait for them
> timeout.So my question is where does this lock come from, and why does
this
> error occur. Do you think this could be a bug in the webdav servlet ?

So in your case /files/pages/home2/clients/page.xhp is not locked at all ?
You mentioned the admin webapp. Does it display any locks on that resource ?
Did you try to kill that lock ?

That is really strange overall, as none of the WebDAV methods will put a
WebDAV lock automatically (that would violate the spec); so I don't see how
a lock can spontaneously appear. Note that some WebDAV editors could lock a
resource, and then forget to unlock it.

Remy

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>