Posted to dev@asterixdb.apache.org by Mike Carey <dt...@gmail.com> on 2015/08/13 22:08:07 UTC

First Apache incubating release - blockers?

So where are we on feeds and metadata - the release blockers?
(@Raman?  Feed tutorial and API key?  @Ildar?  Your changes?)

Re: First Apache incubating release - blockers?

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
The actions should be essentially the same.  Those items on the incubator
page is just the check-list that the actions with RAT should be used to
verify.

Posted by Ian Maxon <im...@uci.edu>.

Posted by Ildar Absalyamov <il...@gmail.com>.
> On Aug 13, 2015, at 23:07, abdullah alamoudi <ba...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I assume you meant  “Dataset" record type definition and not "Datatype" and
> you're right. they are the same and can be elevated one level higher :-).

OK, I will move it as a part of this change in this case.

> For everyone's information, here is a description of the problem:
> In our regular secondary indexes, the structure of the tuple consists of
> <SecondaryKeys,PrimaryKeys> and the Hyracks jobs get constructed based on
> this assumption. However, our Metadata secondary indexes don't follow this
> convention and so we end up with runtime errors whenever they are picked
> for access.

Correct, instead these indexes construct tuple in a form <SecondaryKey, StuffThatReallyNeeded>, which allows them to avoid probing the primary for the needed information, returning via index-only lookup.

> Cheers,
> Abdullah.
>
> On Fri, Aug 14, 2015 at 8:59 AM, Ildar Absalyamov <
> ildar.absalyamov@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> @Abdullah,
>> OK, now I see that change. IMHO this is a hack, but I will adopt that
>> approach that as well to submit the code review. However this issue really
>> needs to be addressed.
>>
>> Side question, when you introduced external indexes you have added a field
>> “ExternalDetails” (which in turn is a nested record) into “Datatype" record
>> type definition in addition to existing “InternalDetails” field (BTW I
>> believe either of the fields exists at a particular point in time, maybe be
>> can use UNION for them?). However both of them have nested field
>> “GroupName”, which is used by one of the secondary metadata indexes. Is
>> that the same GroupName in both cases? If yes, can we move this field 1
>> level up from {External\Internal}Details to avoid duplication?
>>
>>> On Aug 13, 2015, at 20:48, abdullah alamoudi <ba...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Ildar,
>>> I remember that I had an issue with the secondary indexes of Metadata
>> when
>>> I enabled the prefix search for our indexes. I believe with the current
>>> structure of the secondary indexes, they are unusable in a typical query
>>> execution job and so I disabled secondary index access for Metadata
>>>
>>> I think we should stick to that at the moment at least. I also believe
>> that
>>> the point of the secondary indexes for Metadata is to validate ddl
>>> operations and not to be used for dataset access within Hyracks.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Abdullah.

>> bootstrapped
>> dogfooding
>> Select\INL
>> validation

>>> :

>> Three)

>>> --
>>> Amoudi, Abdullah.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Ildar
>>

> --
> Amoudi, Abdullah.

Best regards,
Ildar

Re: First Apache incubating release - blockers?

Posted by abdullah alamoudi <ba...@gmail.com>.

--
Amoudi, Abdullah.

Re: First Apache incubating release - blockers?

Posted by Ildar Absalyamov <il...@gmail.com>.
@Abdullah,
OK, now I see that change. IMHO this is a hack, but I will adopt that approach that as well to submit the code review. However this issue really needs to be addressed.

Side question, when you introduced external indexes you have added a field “ExternalDetails” (which in turn is a nested record) into “Datatype" record type definition in addition to existing “InternalDetails” field (BTW I believe either of the fields exists at a particular point in time, maybe be can use UNION for them?). However both of them have nested field “GroupName”, which is used by one of the secondary metadata indexes. Is that the same GroupName in both cases? If yes, can we move this field 1 level up from {External\Internal}Details to avoid duplication?

> On Aug 13, 2015, at 20:48, abdullah alamoudi <ba...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Ildar,
> I remember that I had an issue with the secondary indexes of Metadata when
> I enabled the prefix search for our indexes. I believe with the current
> structure of the secondary indexes, they are unusable in a typical query
> execution job and so I disabled secondary index access for Metadata indexes.
>
> I think we should stick to that at the moment at least. I also believe that
> the point of the secondary indexes for Metadata is to validate ddl
> operations and not to be used for dataset access within Hyracks.
>
> Cheers,
> Abdullah.
>
> On Fri, Aug 14, 2015 at 12:10 AM, Ildar Absalyamov <
> ildar.absalyamov@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> End of this\early next week would be the estimate.

>>> Okay - cool - future improvements needed, clearly.
>>> Any ETA for the interim solution?
>>> Thx!
>>> Mike

>> --
>> Best regards,
>> Ildar
>>

> --
> Amoudi, Abdullah.

Best regards,
Ildar

Re: First Apache incubating release - blockers?

Posted by abdullah alamoudi <ba...@gmail.com>.
Ildar,

--
Amoudi, Abdullah.

Re: First Apache incubating release - blockers?

Posted by Ildar Absalyamov <il...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mike Carey <dt...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ildar Absalyamov <il...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.